Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-11-2014, 09:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
we have a Roomba pet edition since we have two hunting dogs . Its always a game to figure out where it got clogged with hair and died and now the battery wont take a charge , Not a fan
Old 09-11-2014, 10:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MC 2002 X30
Lab = hair - it is crazy how much they shed
Old 09-12-2014, 11:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Yes, quite crazy on the hair. My wife loves the dog but seriously HATES all the hair!

I thought this third one was broken again because it kept asking "empty dirt bin"....then says "thanks for emptying"....then 10 minutes later, asks to "empty dirt bin" again. It hadn't even moved yet.

Anyways, we just hit the start button and it began moving around. It did a good job vacuuming the areas it covered but it did take a lot of time. Going around chairs was very painful to watch. It did get around each one but did a lot of trial and error to manouver out from the legs. We went to dinner and I came back home. Emptied bin (even though it didn't say it was full). And then let it continue.

Around 3am this morning, I awake to a beeping sound....

I come out and it's sitting on our large rug with an error message to free up it's stuck wheel. Not wanting to deal with it at 3am, I put it in the garage and turned the battery off.

Looked at it this morning and tired to empty it's bin...but it wasn't full. Looked at the inlet and say it was plugged with hair. Started clean/pulling stuff out to later find out that the side brush fell off and was sucked up and then clogged the outlet. So pretty much not working much.

I'll try it again tonight but the success was limited.....

1994 205, LT1
Old 09-12-2014, 02:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 x-30, 6.2, gen2
I was looking between roomba and a neato. Lots if reviews on amazon saying their neato broke down so I went with the roomba. I went with a 560 I believe, based on review of how well it picked up pet hair. We have 2 Berneese mountain dogs, extremely hairy, shed like crazy. The first two weeks we used the roomba the dogs were not around and the roomba worked really well. After the dogs came back, the roomba died in two days. Now it won't run for more than 10 minutes without going into an error mode. Even if I vacuum before hand it is hit and miss if it will make it or not. Bottom line, I don't think either are made for pets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
My experience with a robot vacuum back in 2009.... Pulled this off another forum I'm on since I didn't want to type it all out, but here goes:

I woke up to my roommates dog whining and being the general annoying dog that he is, and ended up finally coming out of my room to tell him to shut up. Well when I got closer to my door, I smelled an odor of poop. I open the door and get blasted with poop fumes, and when I turn the corner to look in the living room, I see dog poo smeared all over the carpet, with the roomba vacuum stuck on my xbox controller cord. Thank god for that cord, cause it stopped the vacuum from doing further damage, but now the roomba is caked in crap, the carpet has crap smeared all over it, and it smells like complete and total *** in my apartment. My roommates going to pick up a rug doctor, and I can't help but laugh at the series of events in this little episode.

Soooo... what had happened, was my buddies dog has a long nose, and was sniffing the roomba, and turned it on. Previously, the dog had crapped in the living room. This is a doberman, the dog is not small, and neither are his craps. Roomba starts running over the dog poo, flinging it on the walls and smearing it all over the carpet. Never used the roomba again. It now sits unused in my basement.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: X-45 finally better then x-10
I have the roomba 650. i personally have 3 dogs, and i have carpet in the bedrooms and hardwoods in the dinning room and the living room and tile in bathrooms and kitchen. it works great. i do have to use the blocker to do the main house in 2 sections. other then that its great. how ever do make sure your cords and tucked away. the only complaint i have is the the battery only lasted a year. 40 bucks for a new one. and that you do need to empty and clean the holding tank every time. but it keeps the place in great shape between "real cleanings" i vacuum mop the house about every 8 to 10 days. and the robot keeps the floors fresh between. i run it 3 times a week to keep the pet hair under control. and honestly i think the pet one is to get more money out of you. my mom has the 780 and no real difference in its effectiveness between the two. you just doing features and a little bigger holding tank at that rate.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
We have the roomba 564 pet series it does a decent job getting up pet hair from the Catahoula, Jack Russel/Sheltie and my wife's cat , just not around the base molding or any obstacles. It takes the regular vacuum to get all that up once a week or before company. Word of caution, ours needs to be thoroughly cleaned after a week.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 MariStar 210VRS 330hp Tower, Ballast, Bimini, 400w Clarion
Ok, I have I Neato XV-21, my 3rd under warranty in six months. The QC leaves a little to be desired, but it does a great job on sheltie hair. Brush bushings need to be removed and all wrapped hair extracted off the brush axle, but I've resolved myself to just accepting that as routine maintenance, just like emptying the dust bin. Neato is way smarter than Roomba, fun to watch. I think Neato is on the right track, just need better QC and a few engineering updates..

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pristine, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "-- WOW--What a Ride!"
Old 09-16-2014, 07:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Got a Roomba about 5 years ago. It did fine, but required nearly constant maintenance due to all the dog hair. Emptying, cleaning filters, cleaning sensors. If you run it every day it can generally keep up, but you will end up getting tired of cleaning it up every day and perform maintenance. The batteries, bar and rotating brush are all regular maintenance items.
All that being said, we found it highly entertaining for a while, as the dogs would play with it and the random pattern of the Roomba made that more fun to watch.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 LT-1
Bringing up an old thread. Wife wants robot vac for the two labs we have. Looking for it to clean two rooms aka dining and living room. We have nothing but hardwood. Just looking for something to help with the piles of dog fur between normal cleanings. Any suggestions?