Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
H20 - A neat tweak to consider is to look at some of the modern boats that have jump seats to both sides and a step in the middle instead of mirroring the factory design which has a styrofoam base with some plastic pans, and then a removable seat base.

I don't ski with the rear seats in the boats since it is pretty tough to step over in order to get onto the platform.

Not that you can mirror this - but a middle step over point is really nice, and separated seats, or possibly a port side step over and a 2 seat area on the drivers could be pretty functional as well.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 91 Mastercraft Prostar
Thanks! My 91 has a composite panel covered in carpet. I'm pretty sure that is how they should be. So it makes the interior look finished when the rear seat is out for skiing.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:55 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 prostar 190?
Wow, I just read the whole post. Chris you did a helluva job. I hope you get it in the water soon. I live in Taunton, MA if its close I would love to see it in person.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:13 PM
TT Regular

Hey thanks! I still have more I want to do this winter. Will have it in the water weekend after this. Barring any more unknown problems... I store it in Bedford mass you can swing thru this fall if you'd like. I'll be winterizing it soon unfortunately.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Inboards
thanks for any help on the seats all. I'm not sure 100% exactly what i'm going to do with it yet but hey any input is helpful.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:30 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
I will check back on this in a few weeks before I'm by our boat again, if you still want detail pics/measurements I can take some.

Due to my own desire to be able to access the fuel tank and battery area (I never trust fuel senders) - I'm basically thinking of reworking the rear area to have two separate seats with a center viewer that would show enough fuel tank to get a good view on fuel level.

This sounds silly but 90% of the time I run the boat on that final 6-10 gallons of fuel, topping up 4-5 gallons at a time from cans. I scarcely ever fuel up fully unless we plan a day long excursion down the chain, so in that zone new fuel senders bounce between empty and a 1/4 and you cannot trust it for run time anyhow - hence the desire for a view window.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Inboards
measurements are not needed, but if you could do some detailed front and rear of the seat that would be great. because there is a couple years difference in models i can see there being a possible slight difference in measurements so I'm going to try and go off of looks. I do like the idea of splitting it.

BTW no hurry on images just whenever you can get some they will be appreciated.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:58 AM
TT Regular

continued frustration

Heard from mastercraft yesterday. After two rebuilds from the first shop the carb is still dumping fuel. Now sending out to the shop I apparently should have sent it to months ago... It seems that being able to build race cars and rebuild all sorts of classic carbs doesn't translate to my marine Holly application... He had it running on one of his cars before he gave it to me the second time. Mastercraft messed with it for three (very expensive) hours before concluding it needed a rebuild... Missing parts? Unsure how it could run but now won't. Service lady told me it's not a race car. That part I did realize.

Maybe next week and more hundreds of dollars later the boat will touch water... But who knows. Should have bought a new carb at this point. Very frustrated.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:59 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismath88 View Post
Heard from mastercraft yesterday. After two rebuilds from the first shop the carb is still dumping fuel. Now sending out to the shop I apparently should have sent it to months ago... It seems that being able to build race cars and rebuild all sorts of classic carbs doesn't translate to my marine Holly application... He had it running on one of his cars before he gave it to me the second time. Mastercraft messed with it for three (very expensive) hours before concluding it needed a rebuild... Missing parts? Unsure how it could run but now won't. Service lady told me it's not a race car. That part I did realize.

Maybe next week and more hundreds of dollars later the boat will touch water... But who knows. Should have bought a new carb at this point. Very frustrated.
Crap.........wish I was following this thread more closely. I would have been happy to go through your carb and work out the problem. Could have thrown it on my boat to performance test. If you haven't sent it yet, give me a shout.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 AM
TT Regular

Hey thanks! yea I should have tried sending it to you, I was really not worried until this final news from mastercraft saying it still won't work. Unfortunately it's already sent out but I'll check in with you if I have any more issues next week.

Last edited by Chrismath88; 09-11-2014 at 11:26 AM.