Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-25-2017, 03:22 PM
TT Newbie

'89 Tristar 190 5.7L Indmar w/ 1:1 Velvet Drive HELP!

So I purchased a 1989 Tri-Star 190 Open bow a week ago, this is my very first boat/MasterCraft. I was unable to drive the boat first on water (I know, I know) but picking it up for less than 2 grand I figured it was worth it. So beyond that the hull is in awesome shape and the engine ran strong on the hose in the driveway. I have heard this drive train is strong so I felt confident.
I took the boat out on a local lake this weekend and ran in to a few problems, some of which I have solved and others that I need some help with.
1. Shifting, I found that the engine would rev up before the transmission would go in to foward or reverse. I found that the linkage in the transmission was not set up properly and I adjusted it so I will see next time I go out. There is no leaks from the transmission and the tranny oil looks good and I checked it after running and it was full. Is there any reason this could be a transmission issue other than linkage?
2. Electronic, the boat was operating fine until I went back in to neutral, it then died and restarted itself. The engine then started making a high pitch whirring noise and I turned it off. After that I lost all power. Turns out it flipped the circuit breaker and I was able to press in the white button to get power again. But when I tried to crank it over I found the whirring noise was from the starter...
I shut it down and got towed in....
3. At home I took out the starter and the teeth on it where sheered off. Is this common if it was somehow shorted out? I have read a ton of team talks and heard the solenoid can go bad if used with a weak battery. The batter the guy before me was using was definitely weak, I replaced it with a brand new one. I am planning on replacing the starter/solenoid.
4. So I have been able to troubleshoot most of the problems and I want to fix them all the correct way. But the next problem has me quite confused...
Gas Tank Leaking???
While the boat was on the trailer before we launched the bilge was bone dry. After we got towed back we noticed about a half inch of gasoline near the plug, which drained after taking it out. I washed out the entire bilge to remove any gas and unhooked the battery and I have not attempted to start the boat since (Not that I could because I removed the starter)...
Once the boat dried out and is sitting on the trailer there is absolutely no gas smell or gas seeming to leak from anywhere. Could I have overfilled the gas tank? When I filled it no gas came out of the fill hole. What would cause gas to leak only when the boat is moving? Could there be a leak in the vent hose? I am at a loss for this. I checked the sending unit on top and it is dry as well.
I have reached under and felt as much of the gas tank as possible and it is dry as well.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks
p.s. I will add pictures a soon as I can as well...
Old 09-25-2017, 04:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Something else, DD 2004 red/white/black
check the rubber gas hose, from the fill cap, to tank. AND the air vent line. Also, check if you have a fuel/water separator, between gas tank and fuel pump. These boat are known, for sucking water in the air vent, by the fuel cap.

2004 Red/White/Black something or other.

Formally, 1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190, 1996, 5.7L Indmar
Your shifting issue could be caused by a worn oil pump in the transmission. It may not be building enough pressure at idle to lock up the clutches. Good thing you only have $2k in the boat. A new tranny is only about $1,200. As it is a Velvet Drive, it is easily rebuildable and parts are reasonable. Your lucky it isn't a Hurth. Parts are incredibly expensive if you can find them and it isn't worth a rebuild.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:49 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
How many hours are on it? how about some pictures?

on the electronics - check for corrosion everywhere - old battery wires are usually a cause after the battery - then the main distribution block - starters are cheap in the grand scheme of things.

regarding the trans - first check if it is low on fluid - if not the pump maybe worn

if you have gray hoses - get rid of them and get trident A1 marine fuel hose. and use oetiker or similar clamps that don't bit into the hose.

regarding the leak - my tank leaked at the top so I made a new gasket system - not pretty but it works - yes that is clear flex seal -

first pic shows old parts tired and leaking.. hopefully you are leaking there
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 PM
TT Newbie

720 hours on the boat. I will upload more pics when I work on it later this week.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2017, 07:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
From the two pics so far it looks to be in good shape. If you got it for 2 G's that's a good deal!
I had a 91 TriStar.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:57 PM
TT Newbie

Here is the starter I took off with a close up of the teeth.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
1. Shifting, I found that the engine would rev up before the transmission would go in to foward or reverse. - You want to verify the operation of the throttle mechanism as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KNzQxpAeE4&t=90s

2/3/4 - All about the same issues for those - you probably have low voltage and a bad solenoid simultaneously, Previous owner probably got lots of "grinding" when starting which is why the teeth look that way - either not engaging fully or he kept trying to start it while it was running.

Gas Tank Leaking???
While the boat was on the trailer before we launched the bilge was bone dry. After we got towed back we noticed about a half inch of gasoline near the plug

UMMMM - 1/2" of gasoline built up in the hull is ALOT - more likely that was 1/2" of water with gasoline on top of it.

If you don't have a large visible leak coming from the tank inspect your lines and the fuel water separator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx1kDlHojsI
Old 09-26-2017, 12:10 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
that does not look like a marine starter... plus that rust may have led to it's demise.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
that does not look like a marine starter... plus that rust may have led to it's demise.

Safe to say - that customer service phone number is for Autozone - I'm pretty sure they don't stock any marine starters.

Tags
gas, starter, transmission, tristar 190