Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-14-2017, 07:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 88 prostar 190 w/ 351
Back again.. still no spark, need more ideas..

still having the same issue with my boat, getting no spark. To refresh things, it's an 88 mastercraft prostar, 351 indmar with electronic ignition. Boat ran great on a Friday, took the dash off Saturday to paint it, make it look nice, believe I hooked it back up correctly and Sunday had a dead boat.

Replaced parts: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil (says use with electronic ignition) Napa 908 coil, ignition module in cap and don't have a ballast resistor.

How the coil is hooked up..
pos term: a purple wire, an orange wire, both from the solenoid and the red wire from the electronic ignition.
Neg term: grey wire, which is from the distribution block back by the starter solenoid, which I believe runs back up to the dash? And the black wire from the electronic ignition.

Took the volt meter to the coil, key off: nothing.. key on: have 12v to the pos term and 12v to the neg term.. puzzled by that.. but means there is power going to the coil. Turn the motor over voltage drops, I think it dropped down to 8. Battery was a little wore down. But I imigine I'd still have some spark.

There's no spark coming from the coil to the distributor. I pulled wire that runs from the top of the coil to the distributor cap and looked for arching,while turning over the motor, which there was none.

So that being it leads me to the top of the post, back when I took the dash off. I didn't touch anything on the key ignition. I did disconnect all the gauges, but replaced the wires as I removed gauge back to their original spot. The only one I am in question of not knowing it's original spot, is a grey wire that runs to the back of my rpm gauge. I have wires that run to the light, that lights up the gauge and the 3 prongs at the bottom of the gauge that have markings Under the prongs. Blacks wires run to the one that has an "S" with lines under it, the middle (which the grey is currently on) has a "W" over the prong and an "S 1" I believe under it then purple wires to the last prong which I can't remember what it says. I tried to look to see what kind of gauge it is to hopefully find a diagram on it.. but found nothing.

I will post some pictures of the back of the gauge to hopefully help my ridiculously long description. I apologize for all this, I am just hoping someone knows what I have done wrong or are missing to get this beast back on the water. Any and all opinions are much appreciated.

-Clint
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2017, 07:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Check the wiring again.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-14-2017 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
1) Unplug the grey wire from the back of the tach.
2) Start the boat
3) Turn off the boat and figure out which tab the grey wire goes on.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

The extra wire, the orange wire, was from when I had the ballast resistor in. Since I removed that I just tied the orange wire into the purple. I guess the orange wire only had one job, to bypass the resistor and allow full current to the coil? So do I just get rid of it completely?

Will the boat start with the wire unplugged? I tried putting it in different spots and still got no fire.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:23 PM
MC Master Poster

best luck

Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-14-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

My choke was unplugged for the time.. I don't believe it was ever working since i owned the boat. Never gave me an issue.

But those diagrams are how the coil and electronic ignition are hooked up, I believe. Just have the orange wire tied in with the purple. I can try removing the orange wire.. but I believe it's hooked up the way it should be..

Could it be the neutral/safety switch not causing spark? The motor turns over, incase that wouldn't allow that.
Or the oil pressure switch? Could open the circuit and not allow spark? From the diagrams I see that's what I'm understanding. I have not messed with either of those yet. Any thoughts? Appreciate everything so far.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Last edited by waterlogged882; 02-14-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

Will the boat start with the wire unplugged? I tried putting it in different spots and still got no fire.
Yes, the boat does not need a tach to run. You can take it off at the coil for convenience.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:01 PM
MC Devotee

You have 12 volts at the (+) post of your coil, that is all your coil needs and all it ever gets. At this point, you can feel pretty good that your problem is on the (-) post of your coil. Ditch the tach wire and see what happens.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
If removing the tach wire does not help, then take a jumper wire with alligator clips and attach one lead to the distributor body and the other to a good ground on the block somewhere. All you want to do with this test is to make sure the distributor has a good ground.

So ground the distributor body and crank it over and see what happens.