Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-16-2016, 10:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Stars and Stripes
New Cylinder Heads 351w

I have a 351w with GT40s and both of my cylinder heads are cracked between each exhaust port and spark plug hole. They've been like this for a while now and weep water down the side of the block. Now that it's getting too cold to ski I figured I'd go ahead and replace them. I've heard they can be replaced with GT40p heads but don't like the idea of using remanufactued heads. Plus I've heard that the spark plug angle make it almost impossible to change the plugs.

I stumbled upon these (Windsor SR. Heads) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I like idea that they're new and still iron.

http://www.theengineshop.com/product...ron-heads.html

Last edited by Mach_1; 10-16-2016 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1 View Post
I have a 351w with GT40s and both of my cylinder heads are cracked between each exhaust port and spark plug hole. They've been like this for a while now weep water down the side of the block. Now that it's getting too cold to ski I figured I'd go ahead and replace them. I've heard they can be replaced with GT40p heads but don't like the idea of using remanufactued heads. Plus I've heard that the spark plug angle make it almost impossible to change the plugs.

I stumbled upon these (Windsor SR. Heads) and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I like idea that they're new and still iron.

http://www.theengineshop.com/product...ron-heads.html
I have not seen those as you asked.

My friend replaced heads a few years back. Found the GT40P heads and had them speced. out (1.94"/1.54 stainless valves, springs good to .550" hyd. roller) to suit the application (new parts, etc.) and had the holes drilled out to 1/2".

==> Tri-State Cylinder Heads <==

$299 per head. Happy with the heads. Plug and play with a gasket set and a torque wrench (not included). Plug access on the 351 direct drive is not an issue at all.

However a significant HP gain is not what it is made out to be without other complimentary add-ons. I couldn't tell one bit of difference with heads alone.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 FlightCraft
Plug access is actually improved with the "P" heads with the Indmar exhaust manifolds. If you're going to replace the heads, I'd suggest going with the GT-40P. There's no down side and you'll see a nice hp increase.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
I put a set of GT40p heads on a 93 190 and didn't have an issue with the plugs at all.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 Stars and Stripes
Thanks for all the feedback! Maybe I'll just go with the GT40p heads. Is there any specific casting number? Also, what components do I need to request to be brass?
Old 10-17-2016, 02:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
I also utilized Tri-State Cylinder several years back to procure a set of cast iron replacement (remanufactured) heads (GT 40) for my '88 351W, although from their current website (linked above as Flootek.com) it appears they are only listing new aluminum heads, starting around $425 each.

The spark plug access issue you read about refers mainly to header and exhaust manifold conflicts in automobile applications. Since these boats use the exhaust riser and different manifolds, there should not be an issue with spark plug access. I had no issues with plug access or their workmanship on the remanufactured heads. They also drilled out the heads to 1/2" bolts as required by the 351W and put in the brass 'freeze' or casting plugs.
My recollection is there are also a couple of threaded plugs internally that should also be brass.