Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-30, 2012, 5.7 ILMOR
Waterway & Lake Options - Southern WI / Northern IL

Hi All,

The family has been boating at Geneva Lake in southern WI for the past couple years and were starting to get tired of the crazy traffic and conditions on weekends. We love the short distance from our house in the Chicago suburbs but are starting to look for other options even if it means a slightly longer drive (trying to keep it under 3 hrs from Chicago west suburbs). Does anyone have a recommendation for waterways to check out that are suitable for surfing/wakeboarding?

Before moving here I lived in NE Wisconsin and boated on the wolf river near Fremont. Missing the great conditions and low traffic from those days.

Thanks!
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 12:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 1995 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh009 View Post
Hi All,

The family has been boating at Geneva Lake in southern WI for the past couple years and were starting to get tired of the crazy traffic and conditions on weekends. We love the short distance from our house in the Chicago suburbs but are starting to look for other options even if it means a slightly longer drive (trying to keep it under 3 hrs from Chicago west suburbs). Does anyone have a recommendation for waterways to check out that are suitable for surfing/wakeboarding?

Before moving here I lived in NE Wisconsin and boated on the wolf river near Fremont. Missing the great conditions and low traffic from those days.

Thanks!
Daniel

The rock river in janesville/beloit wisconsin is superb wake boarding water. Not sure how far it is for you but we were on it yesterday. There are shallow spots that you cant surf but you will figure out where those are, we have never bottomed out though. Driving upstream to wakeboard for some reason our maristar throws 2x a better wake and driving downstream while surfing also improves the surf wave. If you have any questions i am very familiar with the stretch of river running through janesville at traxler park where the rock aqua jays perform. I have never been to the same river in beloit but i assume there would be about the same conditions

Old 07-11-2018, 12:26 PM
TT Regular

Ive heard about the Rock but also heard issues about submerged objects, shallow water, etc.

Is that true? Is the typical depth enough for surfing 12+?

Does it get pretty busy on the weekends?

Old 07-11-2018, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar 1995 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh009 View Post
Ive heard about the Rock but also heard issues about submerged objects, shallow water, etc.

Is that true? Is the typical depth enough for surfing 12+?

Does it get pretty busy on the weekends?

Theres not much debris just every once in awhile you have to be on the lookout. And usually it is not too bad on weekends but we almost always are able to go on weekdays. The no wake just finally got lifted from it so we went yesterday and only saw one log the whole time. The average depth is good for surfing too, theres only a few swampy looking spots where it gets shallow and the wave washes out. For some reason the people on the river are much more courteous also? People on the lake are *******s compared to the people on the river in general

Old 07-11-2018, 06:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
There's the muddy Mississippi either Dubuque or the quad cities. There is some traffic on the weekends, but better way better than lake Geneva. I think there are more ski areas in the Dubuque area then quad cities.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 09:43 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
Do you own a place on Geneva? Are you looking for water that is an easy day trip?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 PM
TT Regular

Waterway & Lake Options - Southern WI / Northern IL

We dont own a place there. Weve been doing day trips and overnighters mostly on weekends and would like something thats an easy drive with a little one in the car but decent water during normal hours (6am sets will have to wait for a few more years).

Old 07-11-2018, 11:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Where in il are you?
Old 07-12-2018, 07:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I actually avoid all of Chicago because of the crazy traffic and conditions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 07:39 AM
TT Regular

Were in Chicago western suburbs.