Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 07:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Is it time to hang it up...or not?

Get in better shape. You have 20 more years of skiing to do.
Find a workout or cross training sport you like. Cardio, strength, core, all of it.
Iím similar age and getting more dialed in to skiing than ever. It is one of my motivators to work out and watch eating.
Find a cheap bigger ski to use to get confidence back up then get a nice ski.
Go go go.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft x-15 2009
Not sure you can do this at the lake you ski at, but have you ever step started from shore?

I hurt my back 30 years ago, doing a deep start behind an under powered boat. I Learned to step start from shore.It is automatic for me. I can do it 1st time, 98% of the time.If you can walk you can step start.

Just step out on the water, drag your foot and then place it in rear toe plate when boat comes up to speed. Your rear foot will have to be in a toe plate. Hardest part is learning to do it. Once you do it one time you usually got it. I am 57 and I plan to be skiing till I am in a wheel chair. Just another thought on something you might try.

Last edited by Coloradodude; 10-03-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 10-03-2018, 07:41 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
43 is pretty young to be calling it quits. Add some other physical activities for sure. Weights, jogging, push up and sit ups.

Drink less beer, I know I know!

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 10-03-2018, 07:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Prostar 205
I started at 45, have 3 seasons under my belt now. You can do it!

I will say this is the first season that kicked my ***. I'm skiing harder as my technique improves. That led to a couple days of soreness and stiff neck after a day boating.

I'm plan to start working out in some fashion over the winter to be able to hit it harder next year.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:13 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1987 prostar, 2018 Xstar
Google the book “Younger Next Year”. I believe Bill Belichick has just finished reading it. I, at age 46, found it very enlightening and motivating. Guaranteed that if you follow its principles, your skiing would improve. You can do it!
Old 10-03-2018, 08:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 205PS 1997
My 2 cents

Do not give up. I must have tried 40-50 deep water starts, even took a lesson but still I couldn't pull off a deep water start. Then my buddy/driver came across this girls' blog. She was having same problem but then it happen she got up and still loves it in her 40's.

We took her advise and the next day boom deep water start is done. Tip I followed was simple. A gentle pull, butt down and toes pointed at the boat. After a 20 year break from water skiing I am glad to pull it off again and enjoy the rush just as much now then when I was younger.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:50 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
At 63 I've had more than my share of deepwater start fails this year. It felt like there was far too much drag and I could not hold on as I did not come out of the water. Initially I though it was too much throttle however the solution was MORE throttle.

I start double boot one a Goode that might be a in shorter than optimal but it doesn't hinder me IMO.

I still still at 34 with a short rope in a course.

You can do it again if you want. If you have gained weight your strength to weight ration might be less now.. only you can determine that.

You could lose the back boot but if I did that I KNOW my skiing would suffer
Old 10-03-2018, 09:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
There has literally been no better time to be a waterskier. Get however big or wide ski you need to get up easy. H9ver board, evo satori freeride omni etc etc. Start there and get grooving.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro V 205
Send a message via AIM to jss101
Man, I feel your pain! I went through a rough spot this season too, where there a few times when I couldn't get up on the ski. Really bummed me out. But! I got through it!

I am so psyched to ski. I too get butterflies almost every time I go out there. I'm 60 this year, but I've had a fantastic season with lots of great slalom runs. Every once and a while I just can't get up on a single ski. Usually it's upper body. Actually, usually it's that I just can't hold onto the bar. Pops out of my hands; weak grip (I'm sure my weight doesn't help). Here's my thoughts:

1. I always tell myself "you can't ski for exercise! You have to exercise to ski!". I run, lift weights, and do grip exercises. Sometimes during mid season I slack off (could you imagine?) and then find I have trouble getting up. Have to keep the regimen going even during the season. It doesn't take much! Doing a few curls on each arm three times a week makes a HUGE difference.

2. When I hit a bad patch, the trick is not to keep trying. Once my muscles are fatigued there's no way. So what I do, if I can't get up after say three tries, I ask my wife to throw me drop ski. Ever try dropping a ski? What I find is that getting up on two is really easy. I'm usually outta that drop ski and into the back loop before the boat's even up to speed. It gets you out there and you get a run and build your confidence back, and have fun. The only bad thing is you leave a ski floating around so you have to think about where you leave it (so no one else runs into it) and go back and get it as soon as you stop.

3. This is really dumb, but... I find sometimes when trying to get up I have my eyes closed. It's due to the spray that happens, since I'm a big guy. You'll laugh, but I always say to myself, just before "hit it," "eyes open, mouth closed!". I find that most of the time I don't get up I had my eyes closed. Eyes open and you somehow compensate for whatever issues are preventing you from getting up. At least that's what I find.

4. The other thing I find that prevents me from getting up sometimes is too much back foot. I find I'm pressing with my back foot and fighting it too much. We have a saying "stay in the crouch". If you keep your knees bent more and the ski under you there's less resistance.

Bottom line: don't get discouraged! We all have setbacks. There's always some times when I can't get up on one ski, but I've also always worked through it and gotten back out there!

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Slower mellow start and come ski with us, or we will go ski with you ... you will catch the fever again, hang in there bro!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"