Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-04-2018, 04:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker68 View Post
Here are some more pics. The prior owner told me a "newer" 650cc engine was installed by the owner before him. Mechanically the thing is sound and it starts right up and runs. The bottom of the hull is good. Someone even had a custom galvanized trailer made for it which was a huge plus for me since I'm in salt water. Cosmetically she is a little rough. Someone painted over everything (decals, handles, controls, etc.). The electronic controls around the joystick have all been short-cutted or removed. I have already sourced a new joystick base and some of the missing controls like the kill-switch. There are four pretty good sized cracks along the top. Removing that grip tape was like a bad version of an unboxing. It looks as if the foam expanded from within and broke the fiberglass.

All in all, I got this thing for $1000 in running condition. I've never tried doing fiberglass, wetsanding or painting before but figure on this project I'll give it a shot.

The kicker is that after buying this thing my girlfriend actually got jealous and wanted a project of her own so she went out this past weekend and bought a '77 Jeep CJ7. This is really going to be another project for me since she has no mechanical sense at all. I'm thinking of putting retro decals on the CJ and then painting the Jet Mate to match to make a good combo. If anyone has any good retro themes in mind send them my way. I'll keep posting pics of both projects as it goes.

I've posted the link before and I still stand by it, go watch the boatworks today videos on youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/boatwor...able_polymer=1 he has videos on pretty much everything you are doing. The biggest thing when working with fiberglass IMHO and that is prep. prepping correctly either makes it work or fail as with most things.

Also as a first time doing glass work I would recommend an epoxy over polyester as it is much easier to work with especially if you go with a west systems with hand pumps so you get the right amount (recommended) or even total boat from someplace like jamestown with the pump systems makes life so much easier.

anyway good luck and it looks like a fun project.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '09 CSX220 SS
Found an "X-Jet" on Instagram. Now i'm wondering if I need to match the mate to the CSX.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2018, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '09 CSX220 SS
here's someone actually riding behind one of these
Attached Images