Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 06:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 MasterCraft
Dry Start For 1979 S&S

I need to check something and I need to start the motor and drop the transmission in gear for less than a minute. I will remove the belt on the raw water pump. Any problems anyone knows with with the engine waterpump running dry for that short period?

Thanks to any and all !
Philly Dawg
Old 10-20-2018, 08:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDawg View Post
I need to check something and I need to start the motor and drop the transmission in gear for less than a minute. I will remove the belt on the raw water pump. Any problems anyone knows with with the engine waterpump running dry for that short period?

Thanks to any and all !
Philly Dawg
Probably not the end of the world but I would not do it. Cutlass bearings first thought and a dry impeller (not so much a concern for a short start) but it will make heck of a grinching noise with a dry bearing(s).

My personal rule of thumb is not to put it in gear unless it's in the water, although (since you asked and the answer is buried within the forum) others have used a spray bottle to wet the bearings for an in-gear sprint. Less than a minute won't kill the RWP or the CP.

Your call.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 MasterCraft
Thanks, I will keep you advise in mind.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I had to do that last year and my solution was to place a lawn sprinkler under the boat to keep the cutlass bearing wet.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
In general, what you want to do is fairly risky - you need to make sure that you protect the cutlass bearing, the impeller, and the engine block. So:

1. Lubricate the cutlass bearing. A stream of water should be fine, or get a tube of something like KY Jelly that's safe for rubber(s) and squirt it in.
2. Run water through the engine to protect the impeller, remove the impeller, or squirt KY Jelly into the impeller housing to lubricate the impeller (have you noticed that I'm a fan?). I'm not sure that removing the belt stops the rotation of the raw water pump - make sure that you're sure.
3. Make sure the engine is full of water (to protect it from hot spots around the cylinders, etc).
Old 10-21-2018, 10:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
No, you won’t run into problems is you run for a short period like you say. Since your 79 has a belt driven RWP, just take the belt off. You do want to lube the cutlass bearing though if you intend to put in gear. Use water, WD 40, KY if you care, it just will not turn smooth and make a racket.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDawg View Post

Thanks to any and all !
Philly Dawg
Not just to start it and run for less than 60 seconds....
Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Should go with out saying but make sure nothing will get near the prop.

I would take the opportunity to do an engine alignment and just split the trans hub and let that spin there.