Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
It's hard to explain it correctly, but I see a lot of people that struggling are using poor form and making it more work and a harder pull than it had to be. Keep tucked up in a ball, try to put your butt in the ski. Don't push down with your back leg and start standing up (untucking). This just creates a larger moment arm, which equates to more pull force on your body. People also try to keep the ski too far out of the water, which puts it at a down force angle, making you drag harder. Keep the tip up, but make sure the ski is still angled forward to help it ride up out of the water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2018, 11:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Got to be a technique problem. Maybe a lesson with a pro would do you some good. It took me a good 3 years to develop an effortless pull-up on the wakeboard. I now think I should be able to ride into my 60’swith My technique I have developed. Can’t see a slalom ski being that much more different and you are younger than I am. Sounds like your ski is to vertical and creating to much drag for you to hold onto. Maybe just angle it more forward. But like I said a lesson with a pro could easily fix that. Technique is everything.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
There is still fun to be had on the water. I'm 64, had TKR and shoulder surgery. I don't slalom anymore but do tandem ski (which not many do anymore) aggressively and wake surf and have a great time doing it. Hang in there and just get on the water.
Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 10-04-2018, 01:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
...keep arms straight out, will keep you from loosing handle when being pulled up. and 15 off at the rope will help.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
I'm 62 and got back into skiing 7 years ago after a 30 year hiatus. I'm better now than when I was 20! You can do it man.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
Got to be a technique problem. Maybe a lesson with a pro would do you some good. It took me a good 3 years to develop an effortless pull-up on the wakeboard. I now think I should be able to ride into my 60íswith My technique I have developed. Canít see a slalom ski being that much more different and you are younger than I am. .
A slalom ski is much more difficult to get up on than a wakeboard. (maybe not one of the big oversized ones, I've never tried one of those)
Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
Joe, something is off. Its kind of like riding a bike, you just don't forget how to get up, and I don't buy its your conditioning. Hook up with some serious skiers and they'll figure it out.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:05 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Use a rear toe plate and drag a foot. I'm not very flexible so this allows me to prop my chest on the front foot knee. Point your toe forward and you'll be up in no time. I'm literally up in ten feet. My ski partners are much better skiers than me and use double boots, takes them a while to pop out of the water.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 09:49 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
To the OP: At age 43 you're just a pup!

I'm 62, had a great year, and am skiing the best I ever have. I just bought a new Radar Vapor to celebrate.

It's technique, technique, technique. The easiest thing to do is to practice your starts on a boom to perfect your technique. You need to consider going to a slalom camp or talk to a pro.

It won't hurt to do some cross training to work on core strength and cardio.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Don’t quit ... i am older and drink too much and eat too much when traveling ... exercise and think about going to a ski school to get some new tips and have them help you with the correct ski

Never quit ... i still slalom and barefoot with two herniated disks because its just an awesome feeling to out ski most people I’m with!