Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 07:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190 W/ LT-1 & Powerslot
Joe...like most of all these responses...HELL NO, DON'T EVER QUIT SKIING, NEVER EVER!!
Fight Father Time until your last breath. Water skiing, as frustrating as it can be, is one of the best exercises for both mind and body.

Like all of the good advice given already, try every kind of new combination to get you back up. It is funny in this sport how you struggle one minute, then you accomplish something skiing the next and your muscle memory takes over and it is like riding a bike again. Just KEEP trying brother. IMHO it is better to be on the water, behind a boat skiing, then almost anywhere else on this planet. Keep skiing right into the next life.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:25 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X9
Is everyone here too young to remember Banana George Blair?
https://youtu.be/JankgaPZp9w
Keep going!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous boat: '83 19' Skier (S&S)
Current boat: 02 X-9
Next boat: ?
Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC,197,2004,350
Our stories are similar. I grew up in a skiing family and used to piss my old man off that I wouldn't even try it till I was about 15. Once I learned to slalom I've been hooked but I'm a cheesy skiier and just like to make rainbows. Can't cut like a real skiier and probably have terrible technique. BUT... I don't care. I love just doing it!

I'm also 43, but I took up Brazillian Jiu Jitsu about 5 years ago and I'm in the best shape of my life. If you get a doc's OK I'd suggest that, it's a gentile sport that doesn't pose any risk of serious injury if you are careful and it builds massive core strength. I don't get to ski much and I have a freaking Mastercraft. I mostly end up taking kids tubing and wakeboarding, but I never get a chance since I don't have another driver usually. I went for a ski on labor day for the 1st time in nearly 2 years and got up 1st try, so it is like riding a bike if you have an old man ski. Keep at it... NEVER give up what you love until you are forced to. I see no reason here forcing you to!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
This in not an easy post for me, so I am just going to vent. I learned how to ski at 17 years old, and at 19 I crossed over to slalom. For the latter part of my life, that is the water sport I loved doing. Never was competitive or ran buoys, I just loved getting up on my ski and pushing myself to try and make that cut harder and leave that wall of spray as I turn the corner. That was my rushÖalmost like a drug, pushing myself to the breaking point.

Well, I fear that is where I may be at now Öthe breaking point. Is it for the first time in my life, am I having to succumb to my age? For the last 2 years, I have been unable to get up on my ski. Iím trying to figure out why. What am I forgetting? What am I doing wrong? What has changed? Why canít I do it anymore? Here I am now at 43 years old and facing having to give up something Iíve loved doing for 25+ years! I donít want to! No, not yet. I still see my mother still doing it at 64, and others on this forum who have gone into their 70s still able to ride a ski. This canít be the end of my ride!

Iím trying not to get discouraged, but simple fact is am. Iíll even admit Iíve been emotional as well. However, I am having to force myself to look inward for answers. Whatís it going to take to overcome this? Can I overcome this at all? What do I need to do? The answer is upper body / core strength. I donít have enough, and I need more. Also dare I mention weight. Now Iím not what one would consider overweight, but Iím not in the best of shape either. Is it possible that if I could work on these factors during the winter, I could make a grand comeback next season?

Finally, just practiceÖ.which may be the hardest. Why? I donít mind putting in the time. However, the occasions when I have another boat driver on board are few and far between. This one is going to take some thought.

Sorry for the lengthy post, guys. Itís a little strange posting this to board full strangers, however in the 5 years Iíve been a member of this board, Iíve discovered that itís filled with lots of good hearted folks (4 of whom Iíve actually met) who share the same love and passion for our MasterCraft boats and the things we do behind them. Thanks for allowing me to be a little transparent for a while. Cheers!
absolutely need to work on upper body and core strength. You are 3 years younger than me and I am still ripping the slalom and still inverted on the wakeboard. walk 30+ min a day and 3-5 days of strength training. I hear crossfit is fun
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
I spent the summer with first diverticulitus then c diff then two torn and one bulging disk in my back and still skied the course an average of three days a week and I am 55
This sport is a head game . Hit the gym , drink less , get a positive attitude and Git Er Done
Old 10-18-2018, 05:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1994 prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome View Post
Interesting comments by all.. Im surprised at the suggestion to NOT put weight on your rear foot. Im 61 and been coaching people most of my life and always have them focus on their rear foot and channeling all their weight to their rear foot when the boat takes off. I have found this is the one method that works for almost everyone.... its simple, allows the ski to do the work and pops people out of the water quicker.. just saying.... I do agree with the comment that maybe your ski size should be considered.... some of the wider ones are very nice to ski on plus they are more forgiving..
yeah that's not how I get up nor coach others. Stay in a ball and I put my head down and just hold on. Then once I'm up I will lean back and stretch a bit. But I still ski 36 so my wife and other drivers pretty much slam the throttle down. Sometimes my wife forgets I'm not wakeboarding and gets me up too slow, this hurts a bit as the drag is too long.

I taught many skiers who skipped the 2 ski step completely. Use the boom and up in 3 steps. Bar, 5ft rope, behind the boat.

If you have an under powered boat like the 90HP outboard from my youth you may need to lean back as the drag will be long
Old 10-18-2018, 10:23 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament
Only skied double about twice. Switched to slalom at age 7 or 8. I'm almost 45 now with a bad left knee. I have always come up both feet in, right foot forward, rope to the right of ski. I ride a Kidder Redline with double boots for the past 20 years. Dragging a foot may be easier to come up. That's how my dad did it, or he'd jump start from shore. It's going to be about finding the right technique that works for you. Having a ski that is sized for you. And, not skiing behind an under powered boat helps a lot too. At any rate, 43 is way too young to be thinking of quitting. You have a lot of years left unless there is some medical condition that is preventing you from holding up your own weight. Best of luck to you.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 205
It sounds like the gym is the answer. More important than bringing you back the ability to get up on skis, it'll give you a completely different mindset. Ever since I started going regularly, it has changed my life. Going to the gym and exercising is the greatest thing one can do. While skiing is great, being greatly mentally and physically is far superior. Don't beat yourself up, commit to the gym every day of the week (it's hard), and next season hit the water with a new driver. Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2017 PS
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
I work on the road, eat like crap, drink too much, don't exercise at all. I'm 45 and look younger than my age. Go figure. If I lived a healthier lifestyle I'm sure I would be getting 32 off by now. But I enjoy eating a hamburgers, drinking 4 beers and going out and ripping 22off. don't QUIT! Gotta be technique. I also suggest getting one of these !
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2018, 08:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodltg2 View Post
I work on the road, eat like crap, drink too much, don't exercise at all. I'm 45 and look younger than my age. Go figure. If I lived a healthier lifestyle I'm sure I would be getting 32 off by now. But I enjoy eating a hamburgers, drinking 4 beers and going out and ripping 22off. don't QUIT! Gotta be technique. I also suggest getting one of these !
Reminded me of this, Rod...

https://youtu.be/mK5Gf2CS6u8

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843