Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-08-2014, 12:35 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC 2005 X-30 LS1
TPS Sensor, Dealer cant figure it out

Hi Guys, I'm new to MC ownership. I just purchased an 05 X30 with the LS1, my dream boat. I test drove it, had it inspected and thought I did everything right. I took it out the first time and it beeped at me and went into safe mode one time. The next time out it did it twice. The third time, it shut down into safe mode after a day on the lake and we had to limp in. I took it to my local MC dealer and they read the codes. Apparently it was a Throttle Position Sensor. They replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. They read another code, some other sensor. The dealer didn't relay which one specifically but apparently it communicates with the TPS. They replaced that sensor as well and it didn't work either. The tech has a put a call into Indmar with no response yet, and has consulted with the dealership that inspected it. Apparently the other dealer is having the same problem with two boats in their shop. They went as far as replacing an entire computer and still didn't fix it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks, Kurt
Old 07-09-2014, 05:35 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
what was the temp gauge reading when it went into limp mode, 160, or could have it been overheating?
1993 ProStar 190 Star & Stripes - Sold
Old 07-10-2014, 01:25 PM
TT Newbie

All gauges were good. Temp was about 160, oil pressure normal, etc. This thing is driving me to drink!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x45
Limp Mode

hey guys,
Has anyone figured out a solution to this one yet? I have an '05 X45 that is having the same issues. faults out and stays in limp mode. I pulled the TPS and cleaned out the potentiometer but it still didn't work so I replaced it with a new one. I had it scoped at the shop and the only fault codes were in communication between the TPS and the brain. Is there another sensor at the back that should be checked or do you have anything else I could try?
Thanks

BTW- all gauges, oil levels and temps are good
Old 08-04-2014, 01:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X1
For what it's worth (I'm not very mechanical), I had a similar problem. My mechanic found that there was a re-designed throttle that has a less complicated linkage. As I understand it the older design had more moving parts which led to too much slop as the throttle aged.

I hope this helps, good luck.

Cheers, Steve.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:53 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 x45
Thanks Steve,
I have heard that before but i'm going to try things systematically by price first. can't Image a new throttle assembly is cheap
fingers crossed for a sensor
Old 08-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
hey guys,
Has anyone figured out a solution to this one yet? I have an '05 X45 that is having the same issues. faults out and stays in limp mode. I pulled the TPS and cleaned out the potentiometer but it still didn't work so I replaced it with a new one. I had it scoped at the shop and the only fault codes were in communication between the TPS and the brain. Is there another sensor at the back that should be checked or do you have anything else I could try?
Thanks

BTW- all gauges, oil levels and temps are good
What was the code number?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:18 PM
TT Newbie

05 X-30 TAC Issues, Limp Mode

Hi Guys,

I'm back again and still need the same help. I have TAC error codes and now the boat has been in two different shops for 8 weeks and $3300. They have replaced the TAC, ECM and I guess two other sensors in that system. It seems like a lot of people have had the same problem. The new TAC didn't solve the problem, does anyone know of any secrets here?
Old 08-18-2014, 06:25 PM

Boat: 06 X30
I don't want to sound rude but you have this cross posted in 4 or 5 different areas on the board. I'm tossing in the towel on which to reply to.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:22 PM
TT Newbie

I apologize if I'm using this forum incorrectly. I'm new to this sort of thing. I was trying to ask the specific individuals that posted previous questions about the same issue. I was trying to use their threads to ask them. They were all very old threads and I just figured it was worth a shot.

Tags
throttle position sensor, tps