Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-29-2014, 01:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Thumbs down My official ACME 541 prop review

Well let me give you a heads up. I don't like my prop.

I went prop shopping, and decided to go with acme over OJ due to price.

I have a 24' 10" boat, that we plan on running 1000lbs in plus some people (8) and gear. 1" shaft with a 454. ACME recommended me a 541, said it was the bees knees blah blah blah. Would improve hole shot, top end, fuel economy. Well Im pretty disappointed.

Surf setup- 8-10 people and 2 garbage cans full of water
Wakeboard- just 8-10 people
Ballast- ghetto for now, but no money honey. Saving up for apx 1000lb bag setup.

Holeshot not better compared to a 4 blade legend 13x13 Im running.
Holding power....that could be questionably better. at wakeboard speed and not better at surfing speed
No comment on topend and fuel economy as I didn't decide to metric those.

EDIT...
Since everyone is getting upset about everything I wrote below this let me summarize.
Im sure the 541 is an awesome prop, when its on the right boat.
This is NOT the correct prop for a boat my size with the weight i run with (7000lb total). ACME did know all this information, but still recommended me this prop. SO, my review concludes that the recommendation they gave me was terrible, therefore making the prop no good to me. Also, unless you pay full retail price, the 30 day exchange satisfaction guarantee does not apply to you!

Last edited by Roman; 07-29-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
The worst part is because I didn't pay full retail, I wasn't eligible for the return policy

The only positive I can tell you is nettle-props. They told me I could return this 2-3 weeks ago (1.5 months with it....2 now. Only 1 day/4 hours on the prop) and get the prop I wanted, but I've been busy as **** in my life and haven't had the time.

But seriously...I got hosed out of 400 bucks. ***

These three statements don't add up.

You've got a big old boat (and a fairly rare one at that) with a big motor that may or may not still have all of it's horsepower. They can only go off your current product and it's performance that you provided for them. I would do the top speed test vs. rpm before sending it back. The more data, the better.

Sucks to hear you're having problems. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:12 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I am sure you could easily sell it here or on https://www.facebook.com/groups/mastercraftowners/

pretty quickly at the right price.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:14 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Prostar 205
all the reviews i read before i bought mine stated it was a great all around prop, And it is. I do not understand the need to flame a company on the internet as if the companies intent was to hose you. i have bought many things in my life that were not what i expected them to be and most of the time it was due to my lack of research prior to the purchase. but going on the internet to flame a company after they sold you the product at a discount is wrong and totally discredits your position. if you had said "i got the wrong prop and need to sell it" you probably would have been able to recoupe most of the investment made and not look like a jerk.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I am sure you could easily sell it here or on https://www.facebook.com/groups/mastercraftowners/

pretty quickly at the right price.
Agreed. That prop works prefect for my 20'-6" direct drive ski boat and I know a person who might be looking for one for his 20'-6" direct drive ski boat.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-29-2014, 02:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: BOATLESS :2013 X Star, cute pumpkin motor, 2008 XStar LY6 (gone), 2006 X-15 (gone)
My experience with ACME was nothing but positive, and even had to do a 30 day return for a new prop, the one sent was not quite what we were looking for.

To be honest at the time I had a pretty bad experience from OJ which is why I went with ACME.

On a side note Eric, owner of OJ is a member here and asked about my experience and apologized for the error in customer service. Much respect to him for doing so as company owner.

Tom
Old 07-29-2014, 02:23 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
I have no positives or negatives for acme, but I would give a ton of love to OJ. My prop fits my application perfectly.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 205
Sucks that you got the wrong prop for your application. 543 maybe better (on my 205 it handles 2k ballast without issue). Nettles is awesome and they may have a recommendation for you.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Oddball boat, oddball set up... I guarantee acme has no data on your exact boat the way you're using it- probably don't have anything close. They based a recommendation off your current prop, which probably sucks pretty bad. I'm sure the acme sucks a little less... But it's probably still way off on the application. That doesn't make it a bad prop, it just doesn't work for you. When purchasing for an oddball set up, it is unwise to think you're going to nail it on your first try- and buying from someplace with a generous return policy probably would have been in your best interest. That's what you get if you buy direct.

Hard to see how this is anyone's fault but your own!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
I disagree with some of you.

If you’re the company selling props, you should be able to make a solid recommendation on the first swing. After doing a few hours of research, I can tell you based on the wetted surface I have, and total weight I should be turning something that is pitched 11 or maybe 11.5

I shouldn't HAVE to do my own research. I might aswell fire up Catia and design my own prop then. Im busy. As the manufacturer of the prop, you should have a healthy idea of what I need based on my needs. They even tell you to call them. Lets be honest here....anyone that knows anything about props should be able to tell you if you wakeboarding and surfing in a 25' boat, with 1000lbs of ballast, and 8-10 people plus gear, the 541 isnt going to cut it. The pitch isn’t there. Sorry I didn’t know I would need to spend a few hours reading reviews and doing personal research to buy a prop. In my eyes, its the acme employees fault plain and simple. Probably a case of the Mondays to be honest, and I’m going to write that so that the next person knows this. Even Nettles (the middle man I bought it from) knew the recommendation was ****, which is why I was extended a return/replacement policy. But because I don’t live on a lake and have been very busy, I have not had time to use it.

Engine is healthy. Great even compression and leakdown numbers well within spec. Plugs look good and are gapped.

This is a simple case of some guy picking up the phone and pulling a case of the Monday on me, and me getting burned. The prop itself looks great, I paid a good prices (NETTLES PROPS!!), just POS customer service.

This is like me going into a tire shop and being sold a premium all season tire when I asked for something more along the lines of a sticky one season tire. You bet I'm going to be a bit angry I just wasted a few hundred.