Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Perko Wiring..

So my boat has a Perko switch but I'm just getting around to adding a second battery this season.

Right now I've got the "standard" stereo equipment setup with all of the stereo equipment running straight to the battery. I have no bus bars.

I'm considering putting a battery in the bow, just for the additional weight and then running a bus bar back near the factory battery location.

Anyone else doing it this way and regret it? Or should I just throw the other battery in there and leave the stereo setup the way it is?

Old 05-27-2018, 07:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
You need to find the correct Perko switch you have. Thats a Guest dual bank switch in that pic, and could be different then the Perko brand currently installed in your boat that has only a single bank.

http://www.perko.com/

Regardless of what switch type you go with, I dont suggest wiring the audio direct to the battery.

Nothing wrong with location the battery in the bow, as long at it can be secured and you use the proper gauge cabling for the distance.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X-30 6.0L
Id worry about the battery getting wet if the bow got dunked
Old 05-27-2018, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-45 w/L18
Run audio to the COMMON of the selector switch, OR if you want to run it directly to a specific battery, I would put a relay in-line to the COMMON line, that way when the perko/guest switch is turned 'off', the audio is physically disconnected, and there's no drain on the battery.

I'll be doing the same thing this summer
Old 05-27-2018, 11:35 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Thats a Guest dual bank switch in that pic, and could be different then the Perko brand currently installed in your boat that has only a single bank.

Regardless of what switch type you go with, I dont suggest wiring the audio direct to the battery.
Good points. That was just the best image I could pull off Google without drawing it out myself. I've got a Perko 8501.

I'd like to break the audio off of being directly to the battery as well. Just trying to decide the best way to accomplish that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj_mastercraft View Post
Run audio to the COMMON of the selector switch, OR if you want to run it directly to a specific battery, I would put a relay in-line to the COMMON line, that way when the perko/guest switch is turned 'off', the audio is physically disconnected, and there's no drain on the battery.

I'll be doing the same thing this summer
Running a relay sounds like a solid idea. I'll look into it.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:39 AM

Boat: No Boat
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=61783

Adding a VSR and new switch. This should help you out.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Awesome. Too many different types, and they all get called a "perko". No way to suggest a wiring scheme without specific. The 8501 is a dual bank, 3-post OFF/1/2/BOTH switch. The easiest and most effective method is to wire everything, minus the auto-bilge, through the switch' common output. new battery to which ever input post the existing battery is not connected to. No relays, no vsr needed.