Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-27-2013, 11:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Winter Upgrades

Well, winter is upon us and the boat has been winterized for a little while by now so that means time to start ordering parts haha. The big ticket item was the new cover from Brent at Cover Sports and it was well worth the money! He worked with me to get it fitted to the tower correctly and I finally have the finished product It's beautiful! I still need to adjust it properly to get the small wrinkles out, and cut the rear straps to length. I threw it on quickly because it was getting ready to rain the other day.

A few other items you can see are the new guide pole covers and spare tire cover.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Well, winter is upon us and the boat has been winterized for a little while by now so that means time to start ordering parts haha. The big ticket item was the new cover from Brent at Cover Sports and it was well worth the money! He worked with me to get it fitted to the tower correctly and I finally have the finished product It's beautiful! I still need to adjust it properly to get the small wrinkles out, and cut the rear straps to length. I threw it on quickly because it was getting ready to rain the other day.

A few other items you can see are the new guide pole covers and spare tire cover.
Do I spy open water???
Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Do I spy open water???
Open water and today's forecast is for sun and 52 degrees with a 5 mph breeze.

This is a great thread. Love the story and the great progress.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Do I spy open water???
You are correct, and there's a concrete boat ramp in the middle of the yard too haha. I live on the upper section of the James River, about a 3-4 mile stretch of usable river. Great for weekday after work sets but it's narrow and the water level is kind of shallow, normal is 9-12 feet in the center. Unfortunately, we're also surrounded by super rich people (not us haha) who all take their brand new Malibus, Mastercrafts, Nautiques and tow their kids back and forth all weekend on tubes and destroy the water
Attached Images

Last edited by Whalenjf; 12-27-2013 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 12-27-2013, 12:24 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Open water and today's forecast is for sun and 52 degrees with a 5 mph breeze.

This is a great thread. Love the story and the great progress.
Haha the only thing happening with the boat when it's 52 degrees is possible cleaning... and that's not even guaranteed.

Thanks for the kind words, It's a never ending project but it keeps us busy!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Haha the only thing happening with the boat when it's 52 degrees is possible cleaning... and that's not even guaranteed.

Thanks for the kind words, It's a never ending project but it keeps us busy!
52 degrees is nice shorts and a sweatshirt weather. I guess we view temps a little different in my part of the world. Warm day here today.........supposed to hit 36 degrees. I'm headed out to the garage to work on the snowmobile. Probably be wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-27-2013, 03:08 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
52 degrees is nice shorts and a sweatshirt weather. I guess we view temps a little different in my part of the world. Warm day here today.........supposed to hit 36 degrees. I'm headed out to the garage to work on the snowmobile. Probably be wearing jeans and a sweatshirt.
Haha, I just got home last night from Christmas in Connecticut, still nothing compared to where you are though, so 52 is nice. I've been away from the north for too long, I'm becoming a wuss when it comes to cold weather
Old 12-27-2013, 05:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Cover looks nice.
If the boat is stored outside and it is a year round cover, I would not have cut out the swim platform. Debris can collect there not to mention sun fade and degradation of seadek.

A center pole may also be necessary. I see you are "south" but any snow load will stretch the center creating a low spot.
If there is a low spot for any reason; water will pool and drain to the interior below. Mildew will not be far behind and you will be starting one of those "I cant get the black spots off my vinyl" threads. FWIW.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:10 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
Cover looks nice.
If the boat is stored outside and it is a year round cover, I would not have cut out the swim platform. Debris can collect there not to mention sun fade and degradation of seadek.

A center pole may also be necessary. I see you are "south" but any snow load will stretch the center creating a low spot.
If there is a low spot for any reason; water will pool and drain to the interior below. Mildew will not be far behind and you will be starting one of those "I cant get the black spots off my vinyl" threads. FWIW.
I agree about cutting out the rear swim platform, but that is just how he does his covers. I think it is mainly for access to the rear tension straps. We may try to make something to cover up that area when it sits outside.

If we do get any snow this year I'll jump in there and use something to prop the center up, but I also have a big 20'x30' tarp that goes over the tower and covers the whole trailer too in case of a bad storm.

I'm hoping to be closing on a house in the next month and I'm going to put up a pole barn for the boat to keep it out of the elements until I can build my shop in a few years

Thanks for looking out!

Last edited by Whalenjf; 12-30-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:

I'm hoping to be closing on a house in the next month and I'm going to put up a pole barn for the boat to keep it out of the elements until I can build by shop in a few years

Thanks for looking out!
Ticket!

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767