Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X14
Ballast Vent 2008 X14

Apologize if this is somewhere in a thread.

I am looking to winterize my 2008 X-14 with 3 ballast tanks. I have already winterized the engine but need to winterize the ballast tanks/pump. Found an article that you can run Antifreeze thru the vent on the hull for each tank and running the pump on empty. Can someone verify the location of the KGB vent as I have 2 thru hull vents - 1- bilge and 1- ballast I assume...with the boat now out of water trying to verify which vent I should use.

I have also read that you can use a fake a lake and draw the antifreeze in from the under hull port...any feedback on what is easiest/effective.

This is my first year with the MC and appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:48 PM

Boat: XT22
I never had any luck trying to dump the ballast anti freeze in through the vent holes. I just disconnected the vent hose and dumped into the ballast tanks individually. Super easy to access.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
I pumped mine into the tanks through the vent while emptying the tank. I used a water heater cleaner/circulation pump. Seemed to work fine.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by flauten View Post
Apologize if this is somewhere in a thread.

I am looking to winterize my 2008 X-14 with 3 ballast tanks. I have already winterized the engine but need to winterize the ballast tanks/pump. Found an article that you can run Antifreeze thru the vent on the hull for each tank and running the pump on empty. Can someone verify the location of the KGB vent as I have 2 thru hull vents - 1- bilge and 1- ballast I assume...with the boat now out of water trying to verify which vent I should use.

I have also read that you can use a fake a lake and draw the antifreeze in from the under hull port...any feedback on what is easiest/effective.

This is my first year with the MC and appreciate the feedback.

I do my KGB this way - I use a clear piece of hose & funnel, it will want to burp, so go slow.

I always forget which is the ballast & which is the bilge, just run your bilge & listen with your ear close to the vents, you can tell which one it is from hear (pun)
Old 10-13-2018, 07:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
I bought one of these that were in stock at Walmart. They fit on all the 1 gallon antifreeze jugs I have used and make it super easy to get antifreeze in the tanks (either via the lines of you have plug and play) or through the overflow vent on the side of the boat. Cut my time by more than half rather than messing with a funnel.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trans-And-Oil-Spout/16889149
Old 10-14-2018, 02:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
I pull the float sensors out and use the mighty vac to suck any remaining water out. The on board pumps don't completely drain tanks. Then pour in the pink , put float sensors back in and put pumps on empty . After that I disconnect the ballast pump hoses from pumps and pull the jabsco impellers out .

Come on spring !!!!!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 214 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I never had any luck trying to dump the ballast anti freeze in through the vent holes. I just disconnected the vent hose and dumped into the ballast tanks individually. Super easy to access.
This what I found also.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 X14
Thank you everyone for the suggestions above. Unfortunately ran into an issue where the Starboard and KGB pumps would only spin a small turn in either direction....not sure if the pumps are fried? Someone suggested it may have been my battery was not fully charged. The Port side pump ran fine and emptied out the antifreeze.....any thoughts on the pumps?

I have read that the pumps should only be operated with engine RPM at 1500+...could that be the issue and I have burnt them out?

Last edited by flauten; 10-15-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
Could be the timers and not the pumps themselves. They suck in this generation. Tr6coug on this forum reprograms them. You can shall disconnect hoses and pump the antifreeze in. I used a water circulation pump.

Tags
ballast winterization