Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you prefer a hog ring or detent pin on your impact wrench?
Detent Pin 5 62.50%
Hog Ring 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2018, 05:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft X2
Impact wrench: detent pin or hog ring

I'm looking to buy a Dewalt 894 or 899 impact wrench. I'd be using this for removing tires and doing brake jobs almost 100% of the time on my SUV and other family cars. Rarely would it be used for anything else. Those of you that have something like this, either battery or air tool, do you prefer a detent pin or hog ring on the anvil?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Detent pin. I have a hog ring kobalt that is equivalent to the dewalt and I hate it because of that.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
I purchased one of the Ryobi 1+ impacts for swapping tires at the race track and it quickly turned into my primary impact, don't even use the air ones anymore. Going on 8 years old and being dropped several times on the asphalt and still sets the lugs around 100ftlbs. I would only go back to air if I used them for a living. I was curious as well and came across the thread.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../131679/page1/

Last edited by Shaun R; 10-18-2018 at 08:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I have the 899 with the detent pin, love it. The tool is an absolute beast although I will tell you it is quite loud. For 20 or so lug nuts or bolts it's not bad but if I were using it all day I would definitely be using ear protection.

I have a compressor but only fire it up to fill tires or blow out the sprinkler system anymore after buying this and the smaller 887 for lighter work. It's quite amazing how far cordless tools have come. I even switched over to a DeWalt cordless string trimmer which I've been equally impressed with. Not cheap but very good stuff.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x-14 2008 mcx
Pin is mainly for socket retention on 3/4 and 1 inch drive tools. Most quality sockets for 1/2 or 3/8 dr are designed for hog ring anvils.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Quality of the tool should be the first question. I have never broken a hog ring on my IR impacts. The detents tend to get gummy with junk, then you are beating sockets off (insert beavis and butthead joke here), then they fall out, never to be seen again.

Hog rings for me, but you have to spend the money on the tool.
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I have the 899 with the detent pin, love it. The tool is an absolute beast although I will tell you it is quite loud. For 20 or so lug nuts or bolts it's not bad but if I were using it all day I would definitely be using ear protection.

I have a compressor but only fire it up to fill tires or blow out the sprinkler system anymore after buying this and the smaller 887 for lighter work. It's quite amazing how far cordless tools have come. I even switched over to a DeWalt cordless string trimmer which I've been equally impressed with. Not cheap but very good stuff.
Don't remember which model I have, but it was one of the first 1/2" 18V impacts that Dewalt sold. It is LOUD...but it won't remove a lug nut if it was torqued to over 100ft. It sounds impressive, just not enough umph.
Detent pin has never been a problem.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
I have some of both. In my experience I prefer the ring. The pins are too difficult to remove a socket from if you're in a hurry.
Old Today, 06:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
Don't remember which model I have, but it was one of the first 1/2" 18V impacts that Dewalt sold. It is LOUD...but it won't remove a lug nut if it was torqued to over 100ft. It sounds impressive, just not enough umph.
Detent pin has never been a problem.
The first time I used mine I had no clue how it worked and was quite disappointed, then I read the manual. The model I have has 3 torque setting. Going to 3 will take a lug nut off a semi (it struggles but there's a video of it on YouTube). Not sure what I was expecting but it's an impact and the hammering sound is quite loud. Once I got used to the noise I didn't have a problem. I've used it to rotate the tires on all my cars include the F150 and my Camaro which are torqued to 140 lbs. No problem breaking all of them free with a single charge from the smaller battery that came with the smaller tool.

I'd really like to get a bigger battery for it but they are crazy expensive and so far the smaller batteries have worked fine for what I use it for.