Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Prostar 190
1988 Prostar 190 Weight

Hi Team,

I have a 1988 Prostar 190. I understand that it isn't the ideal boat for a large wake, however we're not pros and we're learning how to surf, and this boat is what I got, so I'm going to try and make the best of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how much to weight and where? I will also be investing in some sort of wake-shaper to help the situation out.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 02-08-2017, 12:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
can you sell it? Just seems futile, I have an 86 and one summer i thought i might pick up wakesurfing. I put all my fat sacs and had all my friends stand in the corner/swim deck and i was never able to make a wave/curl worth a ****....

we just transitioned to Wakeskate instead, prostar is great for that esp with a shorter line and some ballast drop the speed to 15pmh.... still carve around do pop shuv-its kick flips, jump wake (no bindings) lots of freedom

but maybe others got better info i suck at wakesurfing and i think my 86 is lighter too.. good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizukovs View Post
Hi Team,

I have a 1988 Prostar 190. I understand that it isn't the ideal boat for a large wake, however we're not pros and we're learning how to surf, and this boat is what I got, so I'm going to try and make the best of it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how much to weight and where? I will also be investing in some sort of wake-shaper to help the situation out.

Thanks so much for your help!
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2017, 12:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

i like ballast in the front under bow
and along back transom area( i run no rear seat)... obviously your going to put more in the rear then bow...

im building a custum fiberglass ballast tank for under bow and my first attemp looks like i was able to get almost 30gals and on my next attemp i think ill have over 35gals(about 300lbs) .. if that helps
Old 02-08-2017, 01:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '86 skier
Ill 2nd FOOTCLAN, you've got to practically sink them to get any displacement. Low draft means there's not much boat left once you have half-sunk especially it if the weather takes a turn.

Old Prostars make great wakeskate boats, work with your strengths!
Old 02-08-2017, 02:01 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '86 skier
If you are just playing around with ideas for improving the wake then I'd try a home made surf gate before spending hundreds. Saw a real good one a while back but can't find the link....this one looks similar.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2017, 05:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

or just take up BAREFOOTING and your done.. haha
Old 02-08-2017, 05:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

id be interested to see what kinda difference that "gate" has on an old prostar with ballast
Old 02-19-2017, 12:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Thanks for the input.

The wake doesn't have to be great, it is only for beginners. I do my surfing on a much newer/larger boat, but this is for my wife and her friends who all want to learn.

My initial thought was to just throw a 600lb sac in the rear, and craft a wake-plate (like the one pictured above) to get a little something out of her.

Like I said, not expecting huge results, just something passable given what I'm working with.

Thanks so much!
Old 02-19-2017, 01:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
You will need more than 800 in the back with a surf gate to make it work. Remove the rear seat and put an 800 back there, then another 400 under the bow or between the front seat and the dog house. This hull needs front weight or the surf wave will be tall and only about a foot past the swim platform.

Tags
ballast bags, fat sac, fat sack, prostar 190, wakesurf