Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Smile '92 - 190 Winter Project

So on Nov. 11th she left for Knoxville to get some work done. The wife and I went up at the end of October to meet with Jonathan of Top Performance Marine and discuss the project. I must say he seems to have a good grasp of what the goal is and what MCOCD is all about.

We are having some gel work done on the hull to tidy up 24 years worth of skiing fun, new upholstery (same general colors; with a twist), adding just enough stereo to keep the wife and daughter happy when "cruising", replacing some decals, a bit of powder coating, a small piece of floor replaced from some failure of the original honeycomb, new carpet, a little dash work, some engine cover cup holder work, the "insulation" in the engine cover and an overall deep cleaning and waxing of the hull (off trailer).

It may be March before she makes it back home, but we have been promised update pictures as they progress through the work. He has a couple of jobs ahead of us.

I hope to keep you guys posted; as I know how important off-season pictures can be!
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2016, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Pretty good "before" pics. Looks nice.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Skier View Post
So on Nov. 11th she left for Knoxville to get some work done. ........
No better time to add seat heater(s). Less than $50 for four pads (two sets). I added to a 93 recently...driver and passenger / seat and back. Get them to add the pads and leave the pig tails sticking out. Cut a small groove in the foam to embed the wire harness. Easy install to wire to power and mount the switch (or wire to existing accessory toggle switch) when you get it back.
John 3:16-18
Old 11-19-2016, 07:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
No better time to add seat heater(s). Less than $50 for four pads (two sets). I added to a 93 recently...driver and passenger / seat and back. Get them to add the pads and leave the pig tails sticking out. Cut a small groove in the foam to embed the wire harness. Easy install to wire to power and mount the switch (or wire to existing accessory toggle switch) when you get it back.

I like the way you think! Probably a stupid question, but how does that affect the removability of the seats? I rarely remove anything about the driver seat except for some deep cleaning, but the observer seat bottom cushion comes out regularly.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I like the way you think! Probably a stupid question, but how does that affect the removability of the seats? I rarely remove anything about the driver seat except for some deep cleaning, but the observer seat bottom cushion comes out regularly.
A simple quick disconnect junction that is part of the wiring assembly. Easy peasy.

I just did an 81 model restoration and added the pads to it as well.

I also recommend using new foam for the seats. Existing foam is appealing because it costs nothing but new foam is much better for the user and more so the seamstress and fitter, and importantly for the aesthetically pleasing deliverable to you. It just goes in much better. I think I got foam for the 81 for $275 (2 sheets of 2" and a sheet of 4"). Here is leftover and the old foam (from the 81). Obviously a big difference.

Attached Images

Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-19-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Waterlogged - Nothing like getting the ol mind to spinning and the checkbook to flowing! Do you recall your source for the heater pads? Do they stay on constantly so long as powered or do they cycle like on passenger cars?
Old 11-19-2016, 07:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Waterlogged - Nothing like getting the ol mind to spinning and the checkbook to flowing! Do you recall your source for the heater pads? Do they stay on constantly so long as powered or do they cycle like on passenger cars?
Use carbon fiber pads. Find them on flea-bay. Look around as you can find them cheaper than retail distributors.

They stay on constantly but you could easily add a thermostat switch. There is a high and low setting.

Even though this receipt says one set / 2 pads...I got two sets and four pads. Your mileage may vary.

Attached Images

Old 11-19-2016, 07:59 PM
MC Master Poster

==> Here <== is what I have used in the last two boats I have restored.

Trim out small grooves in the foam for cables but it's really easy for the installer. A sharp box knife will make the cuts in a jiff.

There is a DIY thread here by BrianM (early November 2006 if I recall correctly) that got me on to this a few years back. He did a good write up on his installation.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:14 PM
MC Master Poster

I saw your upholstery swaths. Here is a photo of a carbon fiber pattern I used on the 81 restoration; just to give you an idea of the combination of solid (base) and the filler material.

Attached Images

Old 11-19-2016, 10:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Waterlogged -

Thanks for the info! You've got some skills...I'm thinking our project may have just taken a turn!!! I sent the link to the shop so I hope they are following along too. I'll be searching for BrianM write up and tips.

Thanks again for the information and tips!!!

Tags
1992, carpet, interior, prostar 190