Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-26-2018, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X2, GSA, Plug & Play Ballast
Stern Boat Cover...ideas??

Ok, so my MCOCD has kicked in overdrive and I need your suggestions.
We use our boat almost everyday and I’ve been covering it whenever we’re not actively using it...mainly because, although it’s in a covered slip, the sun beats on it and quickly oxidizes the gelcoat, especially the black. Just move past the run on sentence!

To avoid removing and replacing the full cover all the time I’m looking for a stearn Cover that hangs/catches over the swim platform, goes up and over the rear deck and attaches to my tower supports, hanging down on the the sides 30” or so like my waterline Cover. In fact, the back 1/3 of my skiboatcover waterline Cover would be perfect!

I’ve mocked things up with a tarp and bungee and sent pics to skiboatcovers.com but they tell me it is not possible. I’ve questioned if I can do it with a tarp then why can’t it be down with canvas. And my local canvas shop wants more than a new custom cover to make it.

What thoughts do you all have???
TMIA!!
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2018, 10:19 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 XT21 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
Ok, so my MCOCD has kicked in overdrive and I need your suggestions.
We use our boat almost everyday and Ive been covering it whenever were not actively using it...mainly because, although its in a covered slip, the sun beats on it and quickly oxidizes the gelcoat, especially the black. Just move past the run on sentence!

To avoid removing and replacing the full cover all the time Im looking for a stearn Cover that hangs/catches over the swim platform, goes up and over the rear deck and attaches to my tower supports, hanging down on the the sides 30 or so like my waterline Cover. In fact, the back 1/3 of my skiboatcover waterline Cover would be perfect!

Ive mocked things up with a tarp and bungee and sent pics to skiboatcovers.com but they tell me it is not possible. Ive questioned if I can do it with a tarp then why cant it be down with canvas. And my local canvas shop wants more than a new custom cover to make it.

What thoughts do you all have???
TMIA!!

Sent you a PM.

Retired at the lake, where every day is Saturday.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
make it yourself, buy the sunbrella fabric or whatever you want, some thread from same place and sew it up. We did it for the swim platform/transom area as well as two full length skirts that overlap with the cover and hang down almost to water. Materials for your job, probably less then $200.

this doesn't show the platform piece well but might help you with the idea
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2018, 07:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X2, GSA, Plug & Play Ballast
Did you sew it by hand?

Last edited by Hawgdriver; 06-27-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 X30, 6.2L
I had one made for my X-30 by https://www.auroracanvas.com . They already had the template for my boat. Mine doesn't go as far forward as you're looking for, but no reason they couldn't do it. Give em a shout
Old 06-27-2018, 08:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 X2
If the skirt is sewn on in the picture, how do you get it around the tower??
Old 06-27-2018, 08:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2, Pontoon, Nitro 882
I made my own skirts. Yah it takes a little longer to dress when we are done with it for the weekend, but only about 10-12 min but thats because i have to tip toe around the sides of my boat lift because i lack a pier on the driver side. When i put these on when the boat is on the trailer, its like 4 min.. I bought sunbrella material from Ebay, it was a 30" tall by 60' and got it for cheap, like $20.. I put grommets in the material where i wanted to tie to the boat. Keeps the sun off my black boat. I don't have a cover on my lift so i needed something. So far, its worked great. NO issues with wind, rain, storms..
Attached Images

Last edited by hunter991; 06-27-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 09 X2
I have basically the same skirting, I bought from boat covers direct, it has a pocket sewn and you insert foam pipe insulation. Then when you tighten down the ratchet strap on the cover it cant come out, but it was really a pain to install, I removed the insulation and ran paracord through the pocket and tie it off at the front, rear and tower legs, its better, but would still like to sew it on.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:02 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I don't see why skiboatcovers could make you a version of the cover from the rear tower legs back. Have you floated that by them? They probably wouldn't guarantee fit or function but I can't see a reason they couldn't make that for you.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
Quote:
Did you see it by hand?
by hand? no, with machine, is that what you meant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81SNS View Post
If the skirt is sewn on in the picture, how do you get it around the tower??
Mine sits below the tower, we sewed para cord to both ends, a loop for it to catch over the pickle fork front and then on the back a loop to hook to the rope/tube eye just above the swim platform. Both skirts have a rope sewn in the bottom of the panel for weight, just a little to keep it down through winds etc.