Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 03:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Why do smoke alarms only go off at 3am?!?

So got a call from renters this morning, 4:30a here, 3:30a there. Said smoke alarms were chirping randomly....not just every 2 minutes. Woke everyone up and they asked how to turn off.

Because of this very reason, I replaced all of the old hard-wire, battery backup smoke alarms 2 years ago. Didn't want to get some false alarm due to a unit being too old. I even replace all 9V batteries each year just before the rental season (so 2 months old).

I've done everything I can think of but why oh why, do they want to make noise?? And why is it always between the hours or 1am-5am?!?

Power is known to go out or get sporatic fluctuations, but that's usually in the winter...not much in the summer. So frustrating and felt bad for them.

These were Kiddie ones from HD, if I recall.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
sometimes dust will cause it
Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
I just replaced mine with combo smoke CO from SAM's - supposed to be 10 year batteries & trash, no replacing batteries! $40 each. I replaced with these as 3 out of 4 older 9V battery detectors failed the smoke test!

I never knew the test button was just for the alarm, has nothing to do with the sensor
Old 07-18-2018, 03:57 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
I just replaced mine with combo smoke CO from SAM's - supposed to be 10 year batteries & trash, no replacing batteries! $40 each. I replaced with these as 3 out of 4 older 9V battery detectors failed the smoke test!

I never knew the test button was just for the alarm, has nothing to do with the sensor
Definitely an interesting idea. I hate that I tried to fix a potential issue and the result is "not fixed" as planned.

Also, just viewing Kiddie's website...yes, it can get dirty. Other than that, not a lot of definitive reason why. So to fix it, I'll just blow each one out with air and "hope" that fixes it.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-18-2018, 04:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
I used to have the same problem with my hardwired alarms but the putting a new battery would fix it. Only the one that had a low battery would chirp.

The alarms are on a battery test cycle even if they are hardwired.

I used duracell batteries to replace the crappy ones that were installed in them and didn't have any problems after that.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:52 PM
MC Maniac

Just looking up the First Alert 10 year combo pack....a lot of complaints on false alarms too. Bummer.

So I'll be out there on Saturday so I guess I need to add to the list blowing out each detector and swapping batteries again. I used a Duracell with a silver band around it (I think these are better than standard), last year. This year got some more Duracell batteries from Costco but not silver banded, so I think the basic ones.

I'll try and replace with silver strip this time just in case.

More than anything, I just felt bad for the renters and not having an answer for them.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-18-2018, 05:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190
Alarms

Believe it or not, we had a middle of the night event and found a live "shield or stink" bug in the alarm. I now believe dust and bugs can affect sensor (CO and smoke from kidde). I would love to understand the physics behind this. A stink bug can't create a concentration of CO2 or smoke so is it shorting the board?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '18 x23, '15 x10
I have been on a war against first alert smoke alarms as of late. Why do they only chirp at 3:30 am??

Our house was built in 2012. The smoke alarms are hard wired and we’ve changed the batteries in all of them. Now, they are starting to expire or wear out. They give 3 short chirps when this is the case. So far 4/12 have now expired. No battery change will help.

How is it that smoke alarms begin to expire after 3 years? Why did our previous home smoke alarms not expire? What a joke.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
We just replaced all of ours with the Nest ones and love them, especially the night light option.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
several of you have mentioned hardwired detectors WITH batteries.. my hardwired ones don't have batteries.. is that new? mandatory back up in case of a power failure?