Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 08:28 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
On the Water // Overheat Help

Crossing lake solo blew off the port exhaust water hose below the manifold. Caught it within a few minutes and reattached hose.

No temp sensors, no limp mode. Dash temp gauge stayed below 160F.

Slowing getting to home to port as I type this.

No issues as of now but what should I be worried about? Replace exhaust hoses? Other?

Manifold got hot and a bit of burned rubber smell which along with bilge pumps clued me in.

She ran like a champ under ski, wake, and surf loads past 20 hours. Guess is hose clamp was a bit loose and just let go underway.

Please and thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by moosehead; 07-18-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:38 PM
MC Maniac

Below pic is exhaust line beneath manifold that blew off and was running hot water into bilge.

Back at home port in lift. Can now briefly touch both manifolds with bare hand. Scorched forearm reattaching hose before restart. Seemed fine at 10 mph running home for past 10 min.

Update: Boat did fine a few hours later brief test run, no engine diagnostics posted, stayed at 160F or below. May have melted the port side spark plug wires or boots, will check in the AM.

Last edited by moosehead; 07-19-2018 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Hope you got it fixed. Let me know if you need anything, I'll be flying out of Denver tonight.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 AM
MC Maniac

^Ski-me, that is nice of you. You need to come up for a ski and beer if I can get her squared away.

First heard and then saw a spark near one of the spark plug boots. Iphone video angles helped a ton to chase it down. Pulled it and have a small cut in the spark plug boot.

Stancraft service at Garwood Road suggested just replacing this one wire and rechecking others. They kindly sold me 3 instead of the whole set, on my way back already, boat still in lift. Have only seen it occur a few times, but critical to avoid fire.

Posting as PSA for others.

Both Mike E at CO MC and Stancraft MC service responded to me early hours this AM. Props to them both. Thank you!

UPDATE: Ended up replacing two spark plug/ignition wires where the boots had small split cuts from combination of exhaust manifold heat and hi voltage ignition. All seems good though MCDOCD still has me running with open engine bay lid this AM to reconfirm multiple times.

Last edited by moosehead; 07-19-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Dang....great service for sure! Stancraft is just down the road for you too so that was great of them. Thumbs up to CO MC too!

Mostly in Spokane this trip unfortunately.....thanks again for the offer. Someday we'll make it work!

1994 205, LT1