Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:51 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I'll keep my eye open. I also venture up to the NW, Spokane/CDA area too. Be up there end of the month.

What are you after and why the 205? There are a few variations. 92-95, lower profile, better ski wake. 96+ a little more room, not as good of wake (still good though), better rough riding water (relative), and potentially better wakeboarding characteristics.

I'm a skier so the 92-95 window was my preference over the 96+. Plus it's just plain awesome!

1994 205, LT1
Old 08-15-2018, 10:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Four Winns Horizon 170
Here is my thinking on the 205:

- It will be primarily a ski boat. We don't wake board or surf on it. Needs good ski wake. The kids like tubing sometimes.
- I looked at the 190. It would be great for 75% of the time but I would need a bit more room every once in a while
- I need EFI due to the fact that the lakes we ski range in altitude from 1000 ft to about 7000 ft. Also, its more efficient. That puts us into a 94 or newer I think.
- I would like to pay less than about $13k.
- I don't need all the bells and whistles like seat heaters, expensive stereos, etc.
- I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of time repairing things or refurbishing. I like working on my own vehicles however.

So, as you mentioned, a pre 1996 205 with EFI would be ideal I think. Let me know if I am off base in your opinion as I am somewhat new to the ski boating world.

Thanks
Bart
Old 08-15-2018, 11:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
LT1 is nice, but not mandatory. Just a "nice to have"....which I do have! I paid $13k for my LT1 205 about 6 years ago. 200 hrs.
Exactly - the trouble you see alot is that some folk seem to think that because they saw a 205 for 16500 last week that theirs is worth 15K

There are certain examples of these boats that deserve to fetch the money, special addition boats, ones with a great condition low hour LT1 is going to be worth more than one with a great condition base 350, not because the LT1 is necessary at all but because it is an option.

Same thing with a jump seat.

When you get to boats that aren't original - you have to bring up the fact that the cost of the work doesn't necessarily add value. It may cost 4K to replace a worn interior with a new one, but you'd assume a boat going for 15K is going to have either a replaced new interior or a usable lightly used interior, and you don't get to buy it for 12, put 4K in the interior and ask 16K. Well you can ask

I think a 205 would be a great boat for you, and this one could actually be a good one - but you'd need to break that number down quite a lot to risk it. That's why I start with looking for an immaculate version, price out what getting that boat to immaculate would be and then start knocking off the $ a thousand at a time, or move on. Things like "this boat has 100 hours on a replaced block" instead tell me - hey this is a 700+ hour engine that wasn't properly maintained and makes me wonder who has the know how to replace their block but not drain its water!
Old 08-15-2018, 11:53 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Nope, you are spot on and was me a few years ago. 94-95 was my window (EFI) and wanted LT1 due to home at 6500'. Ski wake is awesome and I've had some people on a 2000 190 ask to ski behind my boat because it looks smaller than theirs.

Heater inside is very nice and a lot of them have this option....shower, not so important.

We love ours and raised 3 girls with the 205. Great boat for the price!!

1994 205, LT1