Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2018, 01:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 MasterCraft X30
Board Racks for 2003 X30

Just bought an '03 X30 without racks. I know most of the original racks are long gone for this year but looking for ideas to get some boards off the floor. I did a custom Bimini that goes over the tower so that somewhat limits what I can do.

Any ideas as to what this is?
https://mcpartsdepot.com/products/bo...ounting-03-all
Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
While my 03 came with wakeboard racks on both sides, I replaced one set with 'bat' surfboard racks from Krypt. LINK
All I actually used were the fingers- I removed them from the Krypt mount and used two metric bolts with lock washers to mount them to the mount plates on the tower. As I recall, I had to clearance the hole in the tower mount plate to get the correct size metric bolt to fit, but it wasn't by much. I think I used a step bit to do it. The other thing I had to do was undo the hog rings from the Krypt bungee, which mounts on their mount plate. I ran the bungee through two holes on the tower mount plate and re-clamped the hog rings.

Krypt rack:

How it's mounted:

Factory rack mount:

The wakesurf rack was $150, I think they have wakeboard racks for about the same, maybe a little more. I'd imagine you could get both sides done for 300-350, depending on which racks you choose.

One note- I think the racks are made in China- not an issue, other than the rubber pads have some kind of funky chemical smell to them, but that disappeared about a week after they were mounted. I've had them on the boat for a year, and I'm pretty darn happy with them.

edit- the Krypt racks come with a tower mount clamp, but I wanted a more 'stock' look- that's why I removed the fingers and mounted to the tower plate.

G
Old 06-05-2018, 12:30 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I put some 2004 racks on mine a few years ago. Had to cut a rectangle out for the handle and drill a hole for the screw above. The other two holes lined up. It was a pretty big pain to cut through the aluminum. I did it over the winter and took the top half of the tower off to make it easier to work on.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 MasterCraft X30
Awesome, thank you for the ideas. On the Krypt rack, when you go over your boards, what do you secure the bottom of your bungee to?
Old 06-05-2018, 07:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I loop the bungee to the rearward tower knob.
On a related note- the bungee on the stock wakeboard racks is very short- won't wrap all the way around a board, and I have no clue what it's supposed to hook to. One of these days I'll get around to replacing the bungee with a longer one that I can actually use.
G
Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I put some 2004 racks on mine a few years ago. Had to cut a rectangle out for the handle and drill a hole for the screw above. The other two holes lined up. It was a pretty big pain to cut through the aluminum. I did it over the winter and took the top half of the tower off to make it easier to work on.

where did you find the '04 racks? I have an '04 but only one side has a rack ... been looking for another but everything I find is stupid expensive.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
where did you find the '04 racks? I have an '04 but only one side has a rack ... been looking for another but everything I find is stupid expensive.
I found the set on ebay. Sold my 2003 racks and basically broke even.
There's a set on ebay now. It looks like they are $225 each, so $450 per side.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Prefer the http://www.diywake.com/ racks vs the non swivel stocks. What I have on my 205V