Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 X10
Cleaning Mooring Cover

Anyone have any helpful tips for cleaning the mooring cover? My first attempt was to leave the cover on the boat and use mild detergent. Seems like all it did was leave soap residue in the fabric that continues to get all over my windshield. I was not able to put much force into scrubbing with the cover still on. Any other suggestions? I have the gray cover so it tends to show dirt and mildew pretty easily. My boat also stays in covered storage so the cover rarely sees sun.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjr View Post
Anyone have any helpful tips for cleaning the mooring cover? My first attempt was to leave the cover on the boat and use mild detergent. Seems like all it did was leave soap residue in the fabric that continues to get all over my windshield. I was not able to put much force into scrubbing with the cover still on. Any other suggestions? I have the gray cover so it tends to show dirt and mildew pretty easily. My boat also stays in covered storage so the cover rarely sees sun.
If it were me, I would lay it out on the driveway, secure it down and then power wash. That or secure it onto the boat as snugly as possible and power wash. I would not give it the full 2600 psi however.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
The method I've been using for years that has worked for me.....

1.) Pull cover off boat. Fasten all clips, close all velcro and secure any loose ropes or straps.

2.) Go to local laundry mat with industrial machines.

3.) Place cover in machine and use your choice of non-bleach detergent. I like to use Tide with Downy softener so the cover comes out nicer.

4.) Run wash cycle on cold with cold rinse. I will typically pay extra and do a second cycle without detergent to make sure the soap is completely rinsed out.

5.) Resist the urge to throw the cover in the dryer. The industrial dryers I've used have a tendency to run too hot and can damage everything from the material to the buckles.

6.) After the spin dry the cover should be fairly dry. At this point I typically will put the cover back on the boat and let it sit out in the sun to dry. Having it dry back on the boat will help keep the cover shaped to the hull.

7.) Extra bonus step. Typically when I'm going this far with the cover I'll also plan to apply waterproofing. Once the cover is fully dry I'll pull it back off the boat as soon as possible and with a gallon of 303 waterproof-er and a garden sprayer soak the cover down with the 303 waterproof-er. This time let the cover off the boat. Once dry reinstall the cover and enjoy your newly cleaned and water proofed cover.

I got really lucky the past few years as I found a Laundry Mat that has a person there for $5 (and I'll throw her another $5 for a tip) will watch the machine for you and call you when it's done. So for me it's off the the Mexican bar across the street for lunch and a beer while the cover is being washed. In the end everyone is happy.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
If it were me, I would lay it out on the driveway, secure it down and then power wash. That or secure it onto the boat as snugly as possible and power wash. I would not give it the full 2600 psi however.
Good idea, I had not thought of that.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:53 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
The method I've been using for years that has worked for me.....

1.) Pull cover off boat. Fasten all clips, close all velcro and secure any loose ropes or straps.

2.) Go to local laundry mat with industrial machines.

3.) Place cover in machine and use your choice of non-bleach detergent. I like to use Tide with Downy softener so the cover comes out nicer.

4.) Run wash cycle on cold with cold rinse. I will typically pay extra and do a second cycle without detergent to make sure the soap is completely rinsed out.

5.) Resist the urge to throw the cover in the dryer. The industrial dryers I've used have a tendency to run too hot and can damage everything from the material to the buckles.

6.) After the spin dry the cover should be fairly dry. At this point I typically will put the cover back on the boat and let it sit out in the sun to dry. Having it dry back on the boat will help keep the cover shaped to the hull.

7.) Extra bonus step. Typically when I'm going this far with the cover I'll also plan to apply waterproofing. Once the cover is fully dry I'll pull it back off the boat as soon as possible and with a gallon of 303 waterproof-er and a garden sprayer soak the cover down with the 303 waterproof-er. This time let the cover off the boat. Once dry reinstall the cover and enjoy your newly cleaned and water proofed cover.

I got really lucky the past few years as I found a Laundry Mat that has a person there for $5 (and I'll throw her another $5 for a tip) will watch the machine for you and call you when it's done. So for me it's off the the Mexican bar across the street for lunch and a beer while the cover is being washed. In the end everyone is happy.
Lots of good information here. Does your cover have the ratcheting straps? I think that has been my hesitation for taking a laundromat. This would definitely be easier if I can find one. I like the idea of using a garden sprayer with the 303 fabric guard as well.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:23 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
No mine just uses the plastic clips. I did have on e with a ratchet at one time and I just wrapped it up in a small towel then sprayed it with WD-40 when I was done.