Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-29-2011, 01:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Maristar VRS200 1998 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
I have been running around trying to do research on Impact wrenches that are stong enough to break free those Shackle Bolts. Apparently they are unique to closed eye springs and are made specifically for that purpose. I got all new Nylock Nuts, and bolts and hardware.

I also found out that my Spring shackle thingys have fliped over and have been riding incorrectly for, I-don't-know-how-long... Let me try to explain.

In the picture below, the eye of the springs are attached to 2 metal brackets that are about 2.5" x 3/4" and have 2 bolts in them. Apparently, the springs are supposed to rest ABOVE those brackets and thus above the Triangular 3 bolts thingy that is between the springs. So it should look like a "W" when installed properly.

I was told that this can happen if say for example the rear tire hangs off the end of a launch ramp and the front tire goes way up the brackets could reverse and cause really bad wear on the tires and the spring can hit the frame... I'm just soo glad I can correct the problem and this should stop my trailer from bottoming out so much.

Does anyone else know what I mean...

The spring eyes are definately supposed to ride above the equalizer, and the equalizer should be level when the frame is level. What you have pictured can be corrected by jacking up the trailer and using a prybar to flip the offending spring eye back where it belongs. Of course if you're replacing the springs, you will correct it then.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 mastercraft maristar 230 VRS 330
Same thing happened to me when my trailer hit a huge hole in the boat ramp. I just jacked it up. Good luck with your trailer. I need to find out if mine has been fixed I have a 2000 maristar and honestly I have always had this feeling my trailer is going to give me problems some day
Old 09-29-2011, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1999 Maristar 210 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post
The spring eyes are definately supposed to ride above the equalizer, and the equalizer should be level when the frame is level. What you have pictured can be corrected by jacking up the trailer and using a prybar to flip the offending spring eye back where it belongs. Of course if you're replacing the springs, you will correct it then.
I have had the trailer for about 2 years, and I'm just finding out that it's positioned incorrectly. I have looked around the bunks and wheels and brake lilnes to see if theres anything that might be wrong while boat is dunked, but this wasn't apparent to me until it was a major catastrophe.
Clint Eastwood, " A Man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 09-29-2011, 09:37 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy View Post
I'd skip the impact - I find I can get a ton more leverage with a standard breaker bar than I can with my 650 lb-ft Ingersol Rand 1/2-inch impact.

FYI man, most shackle bolts have a knurled shoulder that presses into the bolt-head side of the shackle. When you remove 'em, turn the nut - not the bolt. Normally (if the shackles aren't completely worn) you can remove that whole shackle side as an assembly with both pivot and spring eye bolts still pressed in the shackle.Hey dummy! I'm soo glad you chimed in. I'm going to try and fix her up tomorrow and the info you gave and links to garage monkey are great! It'll save me for sure.

I did a web thing with a couple more pointers here: http://garagemonkey.net/garage-monke...d-gallery.html You have a very professional website there. Even I can follow it...

By the way, my Maristar trailer had a busted bottom leaf when I bought it. Noticed it shortly after my first trip with it. I pulled an old trailer leaf from a camper (same thickness) and put it in the chop saw to match the length of the broken original. Been fine since, but a full spring replacement is definitely better.

My 230VRS trailer is a riot - I just realized that when a Mastercraft dealership up in N. Cal replaced the forward axle under warranty for a previous owner they used an axle with a different drop height than the other factory axle - so my equilizer pivot is always maxed out and puts the rear-most spring pack directly into the frame. Rather than replacing the axle I'm building raised spring perches for the axle the dealership replaced.
I have a hard time believing that you can sleep at night while your stuff is mis matched. Things like that really bug the heck out of me. It's a lucky thing you have the capacity to notice that there's something wrong...
Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
MC Devotee

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstumpenhorst View Post
Same thing happened to me when my trailer hit a huge hole in the boat ramp. I just jacked it up. Good luck with your trailer. I need to find out if mine has been fixed I have a 2000 maristar and honestly I have always had this feeling my trailer is going to give me problems some day
Hey Stump, I'm glad you noticed it. How did jacking up the trailer fix it? I'm going to have to check mine every time from now on...

Last edited by MariStar-Man; 09-29-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
MC Devotee

I was thinking about taking the leaf springs apart and applying marine grease between them to lessen any squeaks.

On my Tacoma, there was a TSB for squeaking and that's what the Toyota did.

Do you think it should be done or is it overkill?
Old 09-29-2011, 12:00 PM
TT Regular

Boat: prostar 205 2000
No offense, but you're going to let overkill stop you now?

Seriously, this has been a great thread for me, as a first time prostar 205 owner - keep it going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariStar-Man View Post
I was thinking about taking the leaf springs apart and applying marine grease between them to lessen any squeaks.

On my Tacoma, there was a TSB for squeaking and that's what the Toyota did.

Do you think it should be done or is it overkill?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:21 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmaus View Post
No offense, but you're going to let overkill stop you now?

Seriously, this has been a great thread for me, as a first time prostar 205 owner - keep it going!
Hey Dfmaus, thanks for chiming in. I hope to see pictures of your 205! I wason the lake about 2 months ago at Lake Tulloch and I saw a Prostar 205 that was DOA., and floating with 2 passengers and a little girl. As i came close they said they think it is the Impeller. I told them i believe they had the 333 LTR and they replied yes. Fortunately, i had 2 Extra impellers and gave them one, along with a Tow to their Million Dollar Home located at waters edge.

The funny thing was that the wife told the Husband that he needed to replace it before he left.. Woman's intuition or the cause of the failure...lol!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 AM
MC Devotee

Got her rolling...

Returned a week later to start working on the V-210 and while underneath I noticed brake fluid dripping down the tire... Fortunately it was a simple fixof straightening out brake line and tightening connection.

Many systems were affected during this brief breakage... Broken springs which required i replace all 4 springs. Broken weld which means I have to take trailer to welding shop. Fiberglass torn, which now I have to learn to lay fiberglass. Electical side marker wire, brake fluid bleeding, and repainting the fender...

So, here are some panoramic photos as well as some of the current repair.

I am using 4 leaf spring which have 3000# per pair whereas, the origional Springs were 2250# per pair or 1125# each. Ride quality has not diminished, but you can feel that they are a bit more firm. I can also tell that while traveling and going over deep ruts that the trailer is more composed and feels taught as apposed to feeling the the boat is going to bottom out.

lastly, the rear rollers ride height has increased by about 2" the rollers no longer hit on places they used to...

Click here for trailer parts

Last edited by MariStar-Man; 10-05-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
MC Devotee

Panoramic view from top of property