Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 08:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Damper plates

So my 05 x2 damper plate springs came apart and Iím now dismantling my boat to replace the damper plate, Vdrive seals, and also going to replace the engine rear main seal too since it will be accessible too. Looking at damper plates I see indmar now encloses the springs but was wandering have they done anything else to improve it too. I also heard about the R&D damper plate which has no springs but read a few negative reviews about the cog wearing out on another forum. I run 3500 pounds of ballast in my 205v so it will get abused. Is R&D the way to go or stick with indmars new plate or do you guys have any recommendations for another that is made to be abused.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2018, 06:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Went with the indmar plate after talking with their tech support. Will post a thread with some pics in a few weeks of the replacement process.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 TT 197 #77
I have a 2005 as well, they had issues in 2005 with damper plates. I replaced mine with the heavy duty one off of Discount Inboard Marine. We are not ballasted down but pull slalom in the course and the factory plate was rattling badly at idle in neutral. When I replaced it a couple of the springs were loose but nothing had come apart yet. The replacement has 4 or 5 years on it (can't remember for sure) and we put on 100-125 hours a year. It has not made a sound since. Much easier job on a direct drive than you are about to do.
2005 197 TT #77 LQ9
Old 11-21-2018, 09:02 PM
MC Fanatic

yeah that backseat is no fun to remove. I also fabricated some manifold engine mounts so I could suspend the engine using some tiny bottle Jack's.
Attached Images