Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-05-2017, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-15
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
if you can rebuild the one you have it will be significantly easier... because you just take off all the marine parts rebuild it internally and then put it back in and put on all the parts.. I don't know why you would go any other way.. I know of folks who got "remanufactured" motors from reliable sources and they were total junk .. they ended up doing it themselves and are trying to get the money back from the "rebuilder"...

don't worry about pissing anyone off... if they are pissed off they may not be working in your best interest... you can do the oil analysis yourself with blackstone...
Honestly, the only reason I was going with the original plan of remanufactured was due to the fact dealer 1 told me that was the best option cost wise, it came from Inmar, I was told I could get 5,000 for my old block and that it came with a three year warranty. Now that it’s time to do the work, dealer 1 is stating I need to sell the block privately on my own...before I was told they would help me sell it and the warranty would likely be one year only. Paralleling all of this I’ve been talking to you guys and dealer 2 for second opinions which has helped me discover that not all dealer 1 told me is the case.

As far as them being upset, I really could care less. It’s my boat and I will have it fixed where I want...I just found it funny that they are throwing a tantrum and asking when it will be back because they have “time in” already....which I confirmed I will gladly pay for if I own them for any work they have done to date.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Hard to tell from the video clip, but it sounds ok like you said. Got a good little surfer there too!
I didn’t mean oil pump, meant pickup tube, which is connected to the pump.....or should have been in your case.
But you said D1 replaced the oil sending unit. Did you mean the pickup tube or they just put a new sender in it first before tearing it apart?
And the “wrong oil” didn’t cause or contribute to any of this, unless it was mink oil or olive oil or something, lol.
Either way like curved said, it requires more inspection but depending on what is found out, new bearings could make it 100%. Still about the same labor as a full rebuild though.

If you do end up deciding it needs internal work, I’d quiz the dealer pretty hard about it.
In my experience dealers are more of parts replacers not rebuilders and machinists.
If work is needed I’d still be looking for a reputable private repair shop, possibly a hot rod shop type place. Remember, anything labeled “marine” is automatically more expensive. Inccluding mechanic work.

Best of luck with it and keep us posted. It would also be good if you had a friend or maybe another MC owner who is more of a gearhead to help you analyze this in person as you get diagnoses.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-05-2017, 05:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Hard to tell from the video clip, but it sounds ok like you said. Got a good little surfer there too!
I didn’t mean oil pump, meant pickup tube, which is connected to the pump.....or should have been in your case.
But you said D1 replaced the oil sending unit. Did you mean the pickup tube or they just put a new sender in it first before tearing it apart?
And the “wrong oil” didn’t cause or contribute to any of this, unless it was mink oil or olive oil or something, lol.
Either way like curved said, it requires more inspection but depending on what is found out, new bearings could make it 100%. Still about the same labor as a full rebuild though.

If you do end up deciding it needs internal work, I’d quiz the dealer pretty hard about it.
In my experience dealers are more of parts replacers not rebuilders and machinists.
If work is needed I’d still be looking for a reputable private repair shop, possibly a hot rod shop type place. Remember, anything labeled “marine” is automatically more expensive. Inccluding mechanic work.

Best of luck with it and keep us posted. It would also be good if you had a friend or maybe another MC owner who is more of a gearhead to help you analyze this in person as you get diagnoses.
Yes, when all this started dealer 1’s reaction was to replace the oil sending unit. By the time they got to the “wrong oil” BS they were grasping at straws but trying to sound

like they know what they were talking about. In the end, it was me that got frustrated and demand they come to my dock to test the oil pressure.

I am getting it tested by dealer 2 as we speak and will keep you updated as to what happens. Thanks for everyone’s help and support, I really appreciate it!!!!!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
Was there any reason why you didn't go ahead and replace the bearings while the motor was out. At that point, pulling the crank would not have been that large of a job. Did they measure any of the crank journals to see if they were in spec?
Old 12-05-2017, 07:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
Was there any reason why you didn't go ahead and replace the bearings while the motor was out. At that point, pulling the crank would not have been that large of a job. Did they measure any of the crank journals to see if they were in spec?
At the time, it was not presented as an option. Unfortunately, this is also our first boat so we had a lot of faith in dealer 1. Standing in the shop,completely in shock, trying to process that our two week old boat was now worth salvage at best, we were given three choices...

1. Try to sell the boat with a “blown” engine and try to get whatever we can out if it and cut our losses.

2. Leave it at dealer 1 for the rest of the summer then replace the engine over the winter and sell the block for 5000 dollars.

3. Drive it for the remaining two weeks of summer, hope the block/engine lasts then replace the motor over the winter at dealer 1.

Knowing what I know now, after some research and talking to you guys, I would have had at the very least put new bearings in. Unfortunately hind sight is always 20/20.

As for measuring everything I would have to say no, they did not as nothing was mentioned to us about it. We were shown the bearings which was the first time I’ve ever seen one and told they were destroyed along with the engine. The exact quote was “Your engine is a ticking bomb and it’s only a matter of time before it blows up!”
Old 12-05-2017, 08:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
WOW!!! And dealer 1 wonders why you are going elsewhere!?!?

Salvage value at best? My word!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
LMAO all motors are ticking time bombs... I bet a dollar to a donut.. love donuts ;O) they showed you bearings from something else unless you saw the motor apart.. who in their right mind would take the bearings off of the crank to show the customer and then put it back together without measuring??? run from that dealer run far and run fast...

Good luck to you sounds like you are learning but at least not getting taken!

where those bearings in a nice line all matched up so they could put them back in correctly? I have done the replacement in my younger days.. after taking them out it would be a fools errand to put them back together... which leads me to believe that dealer one is looking for about $5000 in cash to hand you back the motor you have.. and "take his chances" it will make it 12 months.. IMHO...he will have his money and you will still have the same motor.. he knows as most of us here know that motor is good for at least another 400 hours... probably a lifetime....
Old 12-05-2017, 11:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
LMAO all motors are ticking time bombs... I bet a dollar to a donut.. love donuts ;O) they showed you bearings from something else unless you saw the motor apart.. who in their right mind would take the bearings off of the crank to show the customer and then put it back together without measuring??? run from that dealer run far and run fast...

Good luck to you sounds like you are learning but at least not getting taken!

where those bearings in a nice line all matched up so they could put them back in correctly? I have done the replacement in my younger days.. after taking them out it would be a fools errand to put them back together... which leads me to believe that dealer one is looking for about $5000 in cash to hand you back the motor you have.. and "take his chances" it will make it 12 months.. IMHO...he will have his money and you will still have the same motor.. he knows as most of us here know that motor is good for at least another 400 hours... probably a lifetime....
I don’t know for sure but it is entirely possible it was not my engine or my bearings....they had three motors all in various states of disassemble. Honestly, I would have had no idea if they showed me someone else’s motor at the time.

I also have no idea why they elected not to offer new bearings immediately or a rebuild later and just re-assembled the engine. The only thing I can think of, giving them the benefit of the doubt, is they were trying to get us back on the water for the last three weeks of summer as we had just bought the boat and had nothing but issues over that month.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
possibly... I like to give the benefit of the doubt but the follow up from them has me leaning back to they tried to hoodwink you.. maybe not... but.... some things just don't add up... when they don't add up...
Old 12-06-2017, 04:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
When you say dealer do you mean Mc or other new boat dealer?
In hindsight 3 engines tore down sounds a little weird. Boats just don’t go around blowing engines.
If I was scripting their next move. It would have been something like “ For 10k we can get you a new Indmar engine, but for only 7k we can rebuild yours! See, we are experts look at all the engines tore down!”
Sorry, I don’t trust mechanic shops in general unless proven otherwise. Especially one that acts hinky.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN