Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-27-2014, 02:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
That's what I said I did.
I replaced just the MDC, and the Tach retained the hours. I think it's safe to assume that the tach 'counts' and stores hours and the MDC does not.
So, if we can find someone who replaced a tach we could be sure. If the hours are still retained and correct then it must be talking to the ECU somehow. If it looses the hours (Or shows hours from the boat a used gauge was from) then it's confirmed that the tach itself has its own runtime clock.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-Star
A couple threads stating hours set to 0 upon replacement:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...p/t-42903.html
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...p/t-52468.html
Old 05-27-2014, 04:22 PM
MC Devotee

I guess that settles it. The "clock" is in the tach. I'm just going to rely on the hour counter in the PP after I swap my tach out because to get the same tach with the hour meter would cost me around $100 extra.

The whole set of gauges with the non-hour meter tach costs $170 but I can resell the speedometer and pitot kit for at least $40. So, my total cost will be around $130. The hour meter tach isn't offered in a set so I'd have to spend $232 for the gauges and I wouldn't have a speedo to sell off and recoup any cost.

I don't think the Faria tach hour meter can be set to an initial starting hour count. If it couldn't I'd be spending an extra $100 to have an hour meter that's off by like 300 hrs.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Some others have suggested hooking the tach to 12v before installing to allow the hour meter to count to the right number, but as you say, if the PP has it, and the ECM has it, whats the point?
The display in my tach on my '04 has hours, air and lake temp, and depth, which are all working despite the tach quitting. I really dont want to lose those, so I will probably have mismatched gauges until that quits working.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 PS 190 6.0l Sold, 08 X2
I didn't read all the comments but I had some of the same issues with my gauges acting crazy! If you go to Bakes marine online they have a diagram to test the mmcd box with a voltmeter that is how I determined that it was my mmdc box and not faulty gauges. Also they gave me the best price to order a new one. Just a thought I hope this May help you out!
Old 06-02-2014, 07:56 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff d View Post
I guess that settles it. The "clock" is in the tach.
I think I may have reunsettled it again today. It may be different for different years. In my attempt to switch to the Faria gauges, I was repeatedly plugging/unplugging the MMDC (part 7018-00001-01) because I couldnt find a gray or tan wire running into it and I was trying to determine the temp and tach reading. So I decided to take the plug from the temp gauge and plug it in to the oil gauge to see if it was getting a reading. It did, which made me think it was my gauges that were bad after all. I acquired some gauges from an 05 to try in my 04. Plugged up the oil gauge, worked fine. Plugged up the temp gauge, still nothing.

Plugged up the new tach, still no rpm reading, but the display still held my correct hour reading, so on my 2004 X-10 at least, the hours are stored somewhere other than the tach itself.

Another interesting thing is that when I plugged the new oil gauge into either the temp gauge plug or the tach plug, it appeared to still give the correct oil pressure reading. I dont know if my mmdc can differentiate between which gauge is connected to which plug and send the correct signal or what. I'm going to try to call Medallion again today. Hopefully they will answer this time and maybe even have some answers.

The worst part is, the new, blue-faced medallion gauges match my boat so well that I'm now considering abandoning the Faria swap and shelling out for a new mmdc instead of just sending the gauges back
Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
In my attempt to switch to the Faria gauges
What? This is my thread. I want to do the swap first! J/K. I still haven't ordered my gauges.

Quote:
Another interesting thing is that when I plugged the new oil gauge into either the temp gauge plug or the tach plug, it appeared to still give the correct oil pressure reading. I dont know if my mmdc can differentiate between which gauge is connected to which plug and send the correct signal or what.
Your diagnosis is correct as I understand it. It's not the MDC differentiating between the gauges but rather the gauges only looking for data that's addressed for them. It's a data bus so there's no difference between the various connections and the signal for all of the gauges is carried across the bus and available on any of the plugs. Think of them all as being somewhat similar to USB ports on a computer and the gauges are like peripherals (Keyboards, mice, printers, etc). If you move your printer from one USB port to another it's still a printer. It doesn't become a keyboard if you unplug the keyboard and move the printer to that same USB port.

So, the oil pressure gauge, regardless of which plug it's connected to in the harness, "sees" the data flowing across the bus for all of the gauges and ignores all but the oil pressure data.

Quote:
The worst part is, the new, blue-faced medallion gauges match my boat so well that I'm now considering abandoning the Faria swap and shelling out for a new mmdc instead of just sending the gauges back
Yeah, do that and don't steal my thunder. Not really. Keep posting back here with what you find.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 361Dustin View Post
If you go to Bakes marine online they have a diagram to test the mmcd box with a voltmeter that is how I determined that it was my mmdc box and not faulty gauges.
I've been through the troubleshooting guide. The MDC checks out and the other steps generally indicate gauges issues. The problem is that 1/2 the time they work right and the other 1/2 the time they screw up. With the erratic test results it's hard to know for sure. In the end all of my gauges are mismatched anyway (PP and depth don't match the rest) so this is not only the best technical route to go but will also be the best way to go from an appearance perspective.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 PS 190 6.0l Sold, 08 X2
Best of luck bud,I know it can be very frustrating to work on and troubleshoot issues like this! The great thing about team talk is there's lots of ppl willing to help or guide you in the right direction!
Old 06-03-2014, 11:58 AM
MC Devotee

Ordered the gauge set and a new depth sounder this AM for $276.22 shipped. I've contacted Perfect Pass and they can send me a Faria style bezel for $10 so everything matches. Also, FWIW they also offer different overlays if anyone's interested in changing the face color of their PP gauge. Those are $25. You can ship your gauge to them and they'll replace the bezel and overlay for you with any of the ones seen here for $65 + shipping:
http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=displays

I've opted to stick with white so I just need the bezel. Apparently the plastic Medallion style bezels just snap on but the metal Faria style bezel has to be "crimped" on. We'll see what that involves.