Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X-30 and 2000 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouyhead View Post
I wish I had a picture of this but here it goes. Take a small self tapping screw preferably about an inch or two, screw it into the seal where there are no identification marks. Use pliers to gently pry up the seal.
It's out!

We were able to get some long puller arms in there (I forgot to take a pic of the set-up unfortunately) and smack the end outward so no prying action to force it out straight. Tooks some good whacks to get it started but it is out. The part measurements and numbers confirm it to be a 45 x 62 x 8 oil seal. I found the same part that Mike G referenced at ebasicpower and took it one step further to Amazon for this one by National for 4.99 delivered:

https://www.amazon.com/National-45X6.../dp/B000MQHGY0

I'll just order this and confirm comparison when it shows up.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement with this guys. It does become an obsession after a while and really looking forward to starting to put things back together soon. Lots of cleaning and some painting to make it pretty before I start reassembly though too
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 AM
TT Enthusiast

Just a quick update here:
As for the strut, we were able to put it on a press at work and straightened it so it looks very good now. I repositioned it on the boat and looks to line up much better than before - true test will be when I put it back together and go to line up the engine, but if it needs more tweaking it can be done. The bearings are also in great shape considering the alignment - they show no wear. When I put the shaft back in after everything, it moves very freely now and before I could hardly move it with two hands and the prop attached.

Picked up a new trans seal after matching it through Autozone (Timken part number was 1012N - $4.85) - the numbers and measurements were 45x62x8 (National Seal also uses the dimensions for their part reference) on the old part for mine if anyone else needs to know.

Borrowed a really heavy duty puller from work and got the shaft coupler off last night ... that thing was really on there and popped pretty good when it let loose, but all good. The shaft is in great shape. I checked it for straightness by rolling it on my pool table top

I also had put a paper towel under the rear main seal to confirm no oil leaks and that was good. The engine was replaced by the PO in 2013, so I was glad to see some things are still good there.

Time to start cleaning the bilge area and get ready for reassembly and engine alignment. Then of course there's that whole frozen water thing to wait for

Might be a couple of weekends away, but really good successful progress with everyone's help here so far!!!

My thanks,

Mike
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2017, 04:00 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Mike View Post
- true test will be when I put it back together and go to line up the engine, but if it needs more tweaking it can be done. Mike
Do a dry fit (or two) before you glue it onto the hull. This is where the Popsicle sticks work well. Sounds like you have everything going in the right direction.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Finally got a little time on putting some things back today. Installed the damper plate. Then mounted the bellhousing to the trans first, then slid on the trans to the engine and that went together very easy. Went to put on the dust cover to the bellhousing and that was a royal pain to get in position and fit the two small bolts back on. Mounted the strut and shaft. The shaft alignment looks to be much better than what it was when I took things apart. Plan to finish things up with the shaft and align engine next weekend.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quick question for the re-installation etc. I've been reading a bit on how folks went to using 15W-40 oil instead of trans fluid in their transmissions - I saw the service note from 2001 in another post here. This is for a 2000 1.5:1 powerslot trans that says to use trans fluid. I don't recall having excessive noise from mine, but should I consider the switch to oil when I refill the trans now? Is there any other advantage other than using the same oil for the engine and trans?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
From what I had gathered...Mid engine, I would still use the trans fluid, rear mounted engines I think are the ones had some noise issues...and switched to the engine oil to reduce noise...Others can Chime N...I went with trans fluid, didn't have the noise issue, mid engine. If a leak developed, at least I know if its the trans, or engine by the color.

On a side note...I'm going SKIING TODAY ~ Down Hill...that is...nice cool mid 20 day with Sunshine...
Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullpass View Post
If a leak developed, at least I know if its the trans, or engine by the color.
That is a great point. I may have chased my original issue for a longer time without that distinction in the bilge. I'll stick with what I have unless I see a further reason to change based on performance or noise when the the season starts.

Enjoy your skiing today FP!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Finished alignment yesterday and all went very well. Just needed a slight tweak at the front toward the starboard side and a little higher at the trans mount. The prop now turns very easily whereas before I could barely budge it with two hands cranking on it. Can't wait to get back in the water to test it all out!

Thanks again to you guys for the support through this project. Going to keep active with some things like sound material in the cover, etc., until we get through winter. This has been a great way to pass time with the off season.

Mike
Old 12-22-2017, 11:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Hard to believe how much time has passed since I started this project - over a year now. Anyway, mikeg had asked about the tool that we made for removing the nut and it reminded me that I never gave any update on the summer performance results from the repairs. Happy to report that all was great for us this season. Now I just need to think of another project for this winter to carry me through to next summer. Would love to replace the upholstery, but hard to part with the cash right now ... we'll see ...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!!!

Mike