Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
Replaced the glass on my gauges

I've mentioned this on another thread, but thought a dedicated thread with some pics might be better. Not really a how to, rather just showing what's possible if so inclined.

The gauges were cracked when I bought the boat. Someone must have cleaned them with the wrong stuff (ammonia?). The oil pressure gauge was replaced by someone before I got the boat as well as it's clearly an older style. It wasn't functioning either, would get stuck at 80 psi whether the engine was running or not.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Step 1: Cut off the clear face. I chucked each gauge in my lathe and turned them off. Once the "glass" is removed, the needle can be removed and access is gained into the gauge. It's a real pain to desolder the PCB inside, but it's necessary for replacing the stepper motor. Even though the oil pressure gauge was the only gauge that didn't work, I decided to replace all the steppers since issue with them seems common.

Sorry I don't have pics of the PCB/motor replacement.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2017, 01:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Step 2: The glass replacements are real glass. They are tempered, and domed. Domed glass is required as a flat piece would interfere with the needle. Unfortunately, the small gauges use a 2" diameter glass, but the glass I ordered came in at 2 1/16". This is an issue for fitment with the dash parts. I used my tool grinder with a diamond wheel and water to slowly freehand grind the edge down and reduce the size of the glass. This step took a while as I went very slow. Thankfully I had no issues with the temper (other than small edge chips).
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2017, 01:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Step 3: Once the motors were replaced, and the glass ground smaller, it was time to reassemble. I used a UV cure adhesive (optically clear) to bond the glass to the plastic housing. A syringe with a fine tip made application fairly simple. The issue was holding the glass in position while it cured, so the glass didn't float off center. I used the sun to cure the adhesive, so that took a while too. Shown below are the lot basking in the sun. Once cured, it's clear and sealed up. I then used a diamond knife sharpener to debur the sharp glass edges. Note: Make sure to clean the glass very well on the inside, wear gloves to handle, and blow any debris out before bonding! No going back after they are cured.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2017, 01:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Step 4: Reinstall into dash. Here's the finished product. It's not perfect, but it came out very nice. WAY better than what I started with, and all the gauges work great. The oil pressure works as it should too.

This was labor intensive, but not too expensive for parts. I happened to have the equipment I needed in my garage, so that made it worth while. They should be MUCH more durable than the stock plastic faces too.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2017, 01:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Final thoughts. It bugs me that the oil pressure needle doesn't land on zero with the power off. I put it back to where it was stock, but feel like I should have lined it up with the hash mark instead. I'd like to find a dead oil pressure gauge and build another, fixing this "problem" in the future.

Hope this is helpful. Seems several people are having issues with bad stepper motors. They can be replaced without needing to replace the glass. You just have to cut the clear face off carefully. I actually did this first to test the concept before digging into all the gauges. It then can be glued back on and reinstalled. Takes patience and good soldering skills, but it can be done.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X1
Very nice. I need to do the same thing in my X1 and I have access to all the tools you used as well. Where did you get the glass faces from?
Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
Very nice. I need to do the same thing in my X1 and I have access to all the tools you used as well. Where did you get the glass faces from?
The domed glass came from Speedhut.

http://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/pr...s-Domed-Window

Another option I looked into for the small gauges was using pocket watch crystals, but didn't pursue it since I was able to grind these down sufficiently.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Corey View Post
You can also look on chemistry hobby sites for watch glasses.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:57 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '14 X30 6.2L, '96 SkiRay Tournament
This is old but well done!