Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 04-24-2018, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
new to us - '04 X9

i ended up buying the '04 X9 i asked about on here a while back from a local consignment shop, after we sold our '94 190 on here.
was pretty sad to see that one drive off, but it wasnt a great fit with how we ended up using the boat - just too crowded for day trips and kind of rough on our choppy larger lakes. started the hunt for a more versatile hull, and now here are...

at any rate, the new boat seems to have a lot of records from the original owner - the couple guys who bought it about a year ago from them never even titled it in their names and had it in the water for most of the year they had it. so the hull has some scuzz on the bottom.
luckily the original owners appear to have taken good care of it. and someone seems to have spent some decent money on the stereo as it has a couple of subs by the driver's feet and a large extra amp, second battery for the stereo, etc. i think the clarion remote is factory - based on looking at pictures of other similar era MCs.
doesnt have a ton of options - no cruise control, no teak, no shower, no heater, no MCX, but is a solid low hours boat.
has ~250hrs on it, based on the service records about 30-50 were last season. seems like a solid boat, everything works, just needed a fair bit of cleaning and freshening up.
but i think we're just about done doing that...

the to do:
stolz rollers on the bow and keel - the boat buddy was a terrible fit on this trailer!
two ratchet straps on the rear and one on the bow on the trailer, new winch strap
some minor wiring cleanup at the battery
clean, wipe, polish everything haha
tune up with plugs, cap/rotor, clean up a slightly kinked exhaust manifold cooling hose, impeller, etc etc etc
and finally get rid of the tribal x sticker - the gf refused to ride in it otherwise haha

eventually id like to get a teak platform for it, and it needs a couple of hull chips refinished at the rear corners, but for now theyre watertight and will be good enough. will probably also need bunk carpets this season, we'll see how they wear.
when it comes time to do the gelcoat fixes ill probably also redo all of the mastercraft stickers, since theyre all pretty faded.

anyway, onto the pics!

at the lot, getting rained on for a few days

water test was good, coming from the 190 i was pleasantly surprised by how it handled the massive chop on the columbia river haha

terrible boat buddy fit... i assume this was factory? anyway, if anyone wants a used boat buddy, let me know! haha

was so-so on this on our 190, as we typically winched it up, but with this being a bigger boat and it not even fitting into the BB lock, it was totally useless.

and the sticker removal adventure...

used a heatgun to keep some steady heat on the vinyl layer, then applying some more gentle heat while peeling so it all comes up in fairly large pieces. was tough doing this in 50deg ambient, would have probably been a bit easier on a summer afternoon, but i didnt want to wait!
once the vinyl is up, a goof-off spray down of the gray adhesive gets that to fall off in wrinkly sheets, and is easy to scrape off with a plastic scraper. after a few passes with goof-off and cleaning, a good polish (i used griot's garage medium) and a wipe down, and its set.

we're planning on our first real runs with it tomorrow... cant wait!

ill probably come back and update this periodically as we keep chipping away at the to-do list.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2008 X14, w/ LY6 400HP w/ 1.22 Ratio Tran
Nice work and congrats!!

2008 MasterCraft X14, LY6, 400 HP
1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205 (SOLD)

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 04-24-2018, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14, 40th Anniversary Edition, MCX w/ Powerslot
Well done!
Old 04-24-2018, 03:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
oh man... the new X9 stickers are sexy.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
thanks guys!

the new stickers were kind of just dumb luck - greatlakesskipper happened to have the '06 factory kit on ebay in white, otherwise i have no idea how much of a hassle it would have been to get my hands on that setup. we'd have probably gone with a PS209 scheme with the larger MC script on the side
Old 04-24-2018, 04:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
I would go crazy peeling the old graphics off. The end result looks good. I really like the new X9 graphics. Good stuff and nice boat.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
I always loved that X-9 sticker. Looks especially good on black!!1

VERY NICE!!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
Wow that gel is in great shape. When I pull of my decals wet sanding will be in order.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:34 PM

Boat: XT22
Looks great! Congrats. I love the new X9 sticker compared to the tribal. (agree - had to go) I'd have thought about using one of the prostar "Mastercraft" decals rather than the X9 logo. Maybe from one of the TT years. (I'm partial to the '05) But it looks fantastic, and the black and white really pops.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Okay, I'm the oddball here as I prefer the clean look of no stickers. None the less, awesome boat. Love the X9/PS209 hull! Probably my favorite DD Mastercraft! Nice work and congrats!

RTP Motor, I assume since you mentioned that it was no MCX?

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for