Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-12-2017, 09:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1979 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes
Question 1979 Stars and Stripes engine work

My '79 Stars and Stripes ran pretty good last season until the last time out. While footing under full throttle I lost power, and developed what sounds like a top end knock, definitely not a rod knock though. The motor hasn't been touched since '88, so I'm thinking about pulling it and tearing the top end down for a good going-through. Before I get into it, I'm just wondering where I can find internal parts for the motor, I've looked around online without much luck. The motor is the original 351w with a beefy cam put in in '88. I'm relatively new to the boating world, so any parts-sources or other tips would be appreciated!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tri Star 190 - Sold
Most parts can be purchased at the auto parts store. I also purchase marine grade components from this company. http://www.skidim.com/
Old 02-15-2017, 12:59 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars_and_Stripes_footer View Post
My '79 Stars and Stripes ran pretty good last season until the last time out. While footing under full throttle I lost power, and developed what sounds like a top end knock, definitely not a rod knock though. The motor hasn't been touched since '88, so I'm thinking about pulling it and tearing the top end down for a good going-through. Before I get into it, I'm just wondering where I can find internal parts for the motor, I've looked around online without much luck. The motor is the original 351w with a beefy cam put in in '88. I'm relatively new to the boating world, so any parts-sources or other tips would be appreciated!
look in the library which is in the general discussion thread - many resources there.

Good luck - she's prolly a tad bit tired - needs some refreshing.. There's also a Facebook page called the The Mastercraft Project - many great folks there who have a great deal of knowledge.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:22 PM
TT Newbie

I checked out skidim.com and found some parts I may need, thanks for the tip! I'll keep digging around the library, and I'll definitely check out the fb page.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 81 mastercraft stars & stripes 351w
Quote:

I've just rebuilt the 351 in my 81 stars and stripes. Any internal engine parts that you need should be readily available at your local auto parts store. The motor itself is no different than an automotive engine other than freeze plugs and and thermostat. It is possible that you have a right hand rotation 351. If you still have the tag only the intake manifold, it should have that information. I will also mention that if you are planning to freshen up the top end with the hours that are on the bottom end that you would probably be better off just going through the bottom end as well.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:18 PM
TT Newbie

Really? It's a regular rotation, so that makes life quite a bit easier then. I would assume the bottom end it fine, the motor only has 300 hours on it since the rebuild, but it was run every year. I'm just thinking new lifters, springs, rockers, timing set, etc., maybe an oil pump while it's out. If that's all available from the parts store it should be no problem, I guess I just assumed it would be different parts. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Really? It's a regular rotation, so that makes life quite a bit easier then. I would assume the bottom end it fine, the motor only has 300 hours on it since the rebuild, but it was run every year. I'm just thinking new lifters, springs, rockers, timing set, etc., maybe an oil pump while it's out. If that's all available from the parts store it should be no problem, I guess I just assumed it would be different parts. Thanks for the tip!
WOW, only 300 hours. Yeah the bottom end should be good. Would love to see some pictures of the boat.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:58 PM
TT Newbie

I'm getting a quote on a hone and new bearings/rings, just for my peace of mind, but we'll see what the price is. First time boat owner, bought this last summer in decent condition for $3,500. This is how it looked the first of the season, hopully she'll be sporting a couple new pieces of seadek, couple new gauges, and a good gel coat referb before she hits the water this year, along with a referbed motor.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V. 1982 S&S Powerslot (sold).
Love it!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Good looking boat. Hope you are able to get some use out of it this summer. Nothing worse than working on the boat on a 90 degree day.

Tags
351, engine, stars and stripes, top end