Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X30
Maintenance guides

Our boat needs its 100 hour service and we are having trouble finding a dealer who knows how to work on the LY6 engines in our area. Does anyone have any links to any guides for service on the boat, engine and trans? I have all the technical manuals but It would be nice to have better diagrams and more detailed instructions on where to look and what to do.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barritia View Post
Our boat needs its 100 hour service and we are having trouble finding a dealer who knows how to work on the LY6 engines in our area. Does anyone have any links to any guides for service on the boat, engine and trans? I have all the technical manuals but It would be nice to have better diagrams and more detailed instructions on where to look and what to do.
How many MC dealers are relatively close to you? Contact MC and explain this to them, so they can light a fire under the dealers.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hello jim theres not any close to us. I have had posts closed on here before thanks to the dealer we bought the boat from so I don't like to mention them on the board anymore. I have decided to take on all the problems we have had our self and so far have fixed all of them. Mastercraft have been zero help to us from new and the only answer they give is take it to another dealer. That's impossible for us as boat lives on lake with no trailer. The after sales service from MC really has been awful. They wouldn't even send us replacement parts even though they know the issues with our dealer. We have been told that our local dealer has lost his MC dealership though so we are just hoping a good dealer will take over soon.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Again, where in the 'east' do you live? I just happen to have a MC trailer you may use depending on your boat.
If that idea doesn't work, I have a MC Dealer friend that maybe willing to loan you a trailer. if need be.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Hey atlfootr I'm in Virginia. Next dealer is quit a few hours drive from our location so even if we had a trailer its not very practical. Lucky for us I'm pretty handy with a toolkit so I have fixed all the running issues we have had so far but I would like to do the oil changes and so forth my self. That way I know they have been done and I'm learning about the boat as I go. Have learnt a lot messing around with it my self lately but engines I ain't so smart.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X-15, 2009, MCX
Barrita, what part of Virginia? I am wondering if your dealer experience is the dealer i bought my boat from. The dealer i purchased from, his idea of a 100 hr service is an oil change, thats all. I too have the same issue of the boat lives in the lift, not on a trailer.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

We ain't risking taking it to the dealer anymore. Since we have had the boat it sat in the shop for most of the summer for a simple problem in 2008 and ended up having to leave the boat there for the rest of summer and all winter so we asked them to do the stuff that needs doing and when we picked the boat up they said they had de wintized the boat and checked it by taking out on the water the day before. But they clearly hadn't because the boat was a mess where they left cover off over winter and the batteries were flat so they put some new ones in while we waited. Then it wouldn't turn over and kept cutting off and the ground of the starter was not tight so there was no way it had even been out on water since they took it the last summer. We took the boat back to the dock and hot water was building up in bottom of boat. I spent a couple hours trying to find the leak and found heater core had burst open for engine not being drained correctly. I bypassed the core and waited for them to fit a new one which took months, vdig display was messed up last year and we are still waiting on the display to turn up in stock, they disconnected fuel breather/over flow and didn't connect it back on and boat was fuel of fuel on a few occasions but they couldn't find the problem. Lucky it didn't explode out on the water, took it into them for fuel pump problem not so long ago and they spent a while testing it and said that they couldn't fix it so would have to wait for MC tech to come and fix it. We took boat back and I fixed the problem in less than 5 mins.

The thing is we have sent 3 people to the local nautique dealer to buy boats just because of the awful service from dealer and severe lack of backup from MC. Next time we won't be buying a MC no matter what. I expect much better service than what they offer for the money we paid for the boat. It's a battle just to keep the thing running at the moment.

That's just the issues I can remember

Last edited by Barritia; 08-09-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barritia View Post
We ain't risking taking it to the dealer anymore. Since we have had the boat it sat in the shop for most of the summer for a simple problem in 2008 and ended up having to leave the boat there for the rest of summer and all winter so we asked them to do the stuff that needs doing and when we picked the boat up they said they had de wintized the boat and checked it by taking out on the water the day before. But they clearly hadn't because the boat was a mess where they left cover off over winter and the batteries were flat so they put some new ones in while we waited. Then it wouldn't turn over and kept cutting off and the ground of the starter was not tight so there was no way it had even been out on water since they took it the last summer. We took the boat back to the dock and hot water was building up in bottom of boat. I spent a couple hours trying to find the leak and found heater core had burst open for engine not being drained correctly. I bypassed the core and waited for them to fit a new one which took months, vdig display was messed up last year and we are still waiting on the display to turn up in stock, they disconnected fuel breather/over flow and didn't connect it back on and boat was fuel of fuel on a few occasions but they couldn't find the problem. Lucky it didn't explode out on the water, took it into them for fuel pump problem not so long ago and they spent a while testing it and said that they couldn't fix it so would have to wait for MC tech to come and fix it. We took boat back and I fixed the problem in less than 5 mins.

The thing is we have sent 3 people to the local nautique dealer to buy boats just because of the awful service from dealer and severe lack of backup from MC. Next time we won't be buying a MC no matter what. I expect much better service than what they offer for the money we paid for the boat. It's a battle just to keep the thing running at the moment.

That's just the issues I can remember
Did you try contacting Indmar?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Yep they gave us a dealer not to far from us and I called them but they are booked up for the next 3 months. Plus we have to get the boat to them which is not really possible even if we did book it in. I'm on my way down to the lake in the morning to do a oil change so I'm gonna take a look and see if I can do the rest of the stuff my self. Shame the manuals ain't very detailed. I might take some pics my self whilst I'm doing it and know up a service manual with colour pics.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X-15 SS
I had a similiar problem with my local MC, they were great at selling boats but just not that experienced in working on them. Needless to say they went out of business this year. I have found a qualified boat dealer and mechanic to service my boat and they have been amazing. MC doesnt need to service your MC. Find someone good that maybe is and Indmar dealer and they should be able ot help you