Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-02-2018, 09:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190 25th Anniversary Limited Edition LT1 Power Slot
I think it has the original stereo in it. It is a Kenwood head unit (KDC-122), amp (KAC-823) and speakers. The amp set up is a mystery to me as it appears to be a 2 channel amp with 4 speakers. The previous owner disconnected the speakers from the amp and wired them directly to the head unit.

Does anyone know how the speakers should be wired? I looked at the manual and I'm unsure how to wire the speakers back into the amp?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
Any comments on 3 vs 4 blade would be welcome.
I'm in the 3 blade camp. A new CNC 3 blade prop (OJ or Acme) will work great! I have an Acme 543 and love it.

IMO the four blade props are intended for bigger, heavier wakeboard and surf boats, not necessary for lighter and faster Prostars
Old 06-02-2018, 09:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
That is a beautiful boat, congrats and well done on the gel work. The SG will be a tremendous addition.

Sounds like two speakers were wired parallel into one amp channel but that diluted the power too much and the stock head unit had better sound. If the speakers are in good shape perhaps upgrade the amp to a decent 4 channel. Note more power might lead you to want to upgrade the speakers as well, then you will want a new BT head unit, and so on. She is worth it so you may as well commit.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Replaced cupholders today

My cupholders were yellowed so replaced them with stainless steel ones.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2018, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
That is a beautiful boat, congrats and well done on the gel work. The SG will be a tremendous addition.

Sounds like two speakers were wired parallel into one amp channel but that diluted the power too much and the stock head unit had better sound. If the speakers are in good shape perhaps upgrade the amp to a decent 4 channel. Note more power might lead you to want to upgrade the speakers as well, then you will want a new BT head unit, and so on. She is worth it so you may as well commit.
I suspect you're right but I'm going to work on drivability before I start upgrading the stereo. The helm is pretty vague when pulling a skier. I plan on tuning the rudder to get some torque steer going on as well as ordering the Stargazer for it.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 S&S 190
Congrats on the boat. 25th Limited's do not come on the market very often.
If you want a recommendation on polish Performance Boat Candy is the bomb! I just did my Stars and Stripes with the polish and wax this weekend. Thought my gel was shiny until I used this stuff, and realized NOW it is.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I'm in the 3 blade camp. A new CNC 3 blade prop (OJ or Acme) will work great! I have an Acme 543 and love it.

IMO the four blade props are intended for bigger, heavier wakeboard and surf boats, not necessary for lighter and faster Prostars
This was my finding too. I got a CNC 3 blade from OJ. Quicker out of the hole and higher top end speed (compared to the original, factory one.)

1994 205, LT1
Old 06-09-2018, 06:54 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Looks great ... i did not wet sand mine but spent hours and hours with a wool pad and then polishing pads ... shines now! I changed my decals and you can definately see some fading, but i like the way it looks

Great find and huge congrats
Old 06-09-2018, 11:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
Looks great ... i did not wet sand mine but spent hours and hours with a wool pad and then polishing pads ... shines now! I changed my decals and you can definately see some fading, but i like the way it looks

Great find and huge congrats
Yours looks great. I don't think mine would have come back without wetsanding. I had it out on the water last week and still noticed a couple of oxidized spots. I will probably try to get those done in the fall.

After polishing, did you still have some ghosting where the letters were? Mine is a slight colour variation where the letters were, a little more blue. A friend suggested it may be not only because it was protected but perhaps some bleeding from the adhesive on the decal.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Yours looks great. I don't think mine would have come back without wetsanding. I had it out on the water last week and still noticed a couple of oxidized spots. I will probably try to get those done in the fall.

After polishing, did you still have some ghosting where the letters were? Mine is a slight colour variation where the letters were, a little more blue. A friend suggested it may be not only because it was protected but perhaps some bleeding from the adhesive on the decal.
Yes i do ...it's something i can live with ... another reason for putting larger decals on was to hide the ghosting!

Tags
1993 prostar 190 limited, wet sand