Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 02-25-2016, 05:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
did you do the upholstery work?

If so great job!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Doing some of the things you're looking to do are going to be costly and could make you're boat,,,, let's say unique to your taste and difficult to sell later. If you go this route be very aware of this and understand they'll be no going back especially with the Line-X. As such some of the questions I would be asking myself going into this would be......

How much is this all going to cost and over what time frame will I be spending this money?

After spending all this cash will the end product make me good with keeping the boat and satisfy my needs?

Do you expect to recover the cost of these upgrades when you eventually sell the boat?

Will these upgrades add value to the boat and/or make it more sale-able?

What would my options be if I sold my boat and used the upgrade money to buy something closer to what I would like?

If you plan to keep the boat forever by all means do whatever you want with it that will make you happy. If you plan to someday sell it and want to maintain or actually add value to it be very careful to only do things that the majority of others will see value in. MasterCraft owners/buyers are almost always going to be looking for a boat that hasn't been "customized" so do so with your eyes wide open. Doing the exterior of a new Raptor with Line-X may go over well at SEMA but I'm thinking the resale value probably went through the floor as did the number of potential buyers. Doing the floor/deck of a commercial fishing boat with Line-X probably make sense. Doing a floor of a ski boat that you're going to be barefoot it might not.

Moving away from Line-X to some of the more traditional upgrades like interior and towers you're once again back to the question of "how much money should you put into that particular boat?". You're almost always better off letting someone else restore a car or boat from an investment perspective. This is especially true of towers. If you were to do an entire interior for say $3K and add a Monster tower for say another $1100 you're going to be $4100 into a boat worth (based on the condition I'm feeling from the work you want to do to it) about $5K - $6K. It might make more sense to sell what you have and take the upgrade money and put it into another boat.

A lot to think about here but I get the feeling that's why you posted your thoughts on this project. This would be my perspective. In the end it is your boat and you can do anything you want with it. I'm sure you'll make the choice that makes the most sense for you. Good luck.....
Old 02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
did you do the upholstery work?

If so great job!
No, I wish. Paid a local mom and pop shop to do it. Turned out pretty well, I think. I don't have ski lockers in my 190, but they redid all the other upholstery for $2200.
G
Old 02-26-2016, 04:13 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
That's a good price. I was checking around here for a complete (minus the carpet) on a 90 ProStar 190 and they estimated $3K.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Mine might have actually been $2500. Like I said, I don't have ski lockers, so that saved me some cash. They also replaced the carpet strip around the bottom of the motor box- I think I paid an extra $100 for that. I think it helped that I pulled all the pieces out and delivered them rather than having them remove and install the seats and cushions.
G
Old 02-27-2016, 06:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tri Star 190 - Sold
1989 Tri-Star 190 Restore

So got to work on it today, I removed the dash to gain access to some issues. I knew the back of the dash was cracked where screws we attached, but there are a lot more cracks. I'm going to use epoxy and plastic washers to strengthen the screw holes. Also the switch panels need to be replaced .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2016, 06:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Doing some of the things you're looking to do are going to be costly and could make you're boat,,,, let's say unique to your taste and difficult to sell later. If you go this route be very aware of this and understand they'll be no going back especially with the Line-X. As such some of the questions I would be asking myself going into this would be......

How much is this all going to cost and over what time frame will I be spending this money?

After spending all this cash will the end product make me good with keeping the boat and satisfy my needs?

Do you expect to recover the cost of these upgrades when you eventually sell the boat?

Will these upgrades add value to the boat and/or make it more sale-able?

What would my options be if I sold my boat and used the upgrade money to buy something closer to what I would like?

If you plan to keep the boat forever by all means do whatever you want with it that will make you happy. If you plan to someday sell it and want to maintain or actually add value to it be very careful to only do things that the majority of others will see value in. MasterCraft owners/buyers are almost always going to be looking for a boat that hasn't been "customized" so do so with your eyes wide open. Doing the exterior of a new Raptor with Line-X may go over well at SEMA but I'm thinking the resale value probably went through the floor as did the number of potential buyers. Doing the floor/deck of a commercial fishing boat with Line-X probably make sense. Doing a floor of a ski boat that you're going to be barefoot it might not.

Moving away from Line-X to some of the more traditional upgrades like interior and towers you're once again back to the question of "how much money should you put into that particular boat?". You're almost always better off letting someone else restore a car or boat from an investment perspective. This is especially true of towers. If you were to do an entire interior for say $3K and add a Monster tower for say another $1100 you're going to be $4100 into a boat worth (based on the condition I'm feeling from the work you want to do to it) about $5K - $6K. It might make more sense to sell what you have and take the upgrade money and put it into another boat.

A lot to think about here but I get the feeling that's why you posted your thoughts on this project. This would be my perspective. In the end it is your boat and you can do anything you want with it. I'm sure you'll make the choice that makes the most sense for you. Good luck.....

I appreciate the input, I'm still not totally set on using line-x, I'm also looking at carpet choices.

I feel like if I complete this work, I'll most likely keep the boat on the forever plan.

Old 02-27-2016, 06:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
I re-did the rear bench, but instead of having one bottom cushion, did it with 3 cushions.

Link.

Better pictures, with new upholstery.

The added storage is nice.

G

That looks great! See my reasoning for no bench is so that I can have a place to put a cooler and also a good place to step in and out of the boat.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Boat: XT22
I like the idea of 2 back seats with a space between them for the cooler. Maybe build it though rather than the pedestal choice?
Old 02-29-2016, 09:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1989 Tristar 190, Indmar 351, 250HP
With my Tristar, the cooler always went behind the drivers seat. It was a perfect fit, and there were times where it became a seat.