Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 07-28-2018, 04:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 pro star 190 351
Keel rubbing-how to proceed?

Hey everyone! Just got back from my annual 10 day lake/camping trip.
I tried really hard to keep the keel off of the sandy beach but still managed to rub right down to what looks like resin and someone elseís old repair? Iíll try to attach a pic.
I plan on putting a keel gaurd on but what should I do before that? Do I need to fix the rub spot before hand or can I cover it up with the keelshield? I donít believe Iím into the fibers at all but maybe someone can confirm that. Thanks for any help!

1987 prostar 190
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2018, 05:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebular View Post
....... I don’t believe I’m into the fibers at all but maybe someone can confirm that. Thanks for any help!

1987 prostar 190
Confirmed from what I see in the photograph. You're just through the outer layer of gel. No harm done beyond that. It does indeed look like someone prior to your use has attempted a fix.

Several ways to resolve depending on willingness of time and/or cost:

Re-gel it (have it sprayed and finished by a pro). Gel isn't cheap when done correctly. Color matching is tough to match perfectly and time is involved in matching colors if you want perfect.

Re-gel it (brush it on DIY and sand it out to a finish or even spray it yourself) but I revert back to the first option. Putting gel on is easy. Finishing it out is the time consuming part.

KeelShield.......... put it on and don't worry about covering over that area as it is now. Other than aesthetics, nothing is harmed. ...If you prefer to beach the boat as part of your use, the KeelShield may be the way to go for your needs. If you are putting a guard over it, don't bother with the expense of gel coating first. It isn't cheap.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-28-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 pro star 190 351
Thanks, waterlogged!
I definitely donít prefer beaching but our spot is boat in only and for a 10 day stay we have to bring quite a bit of gear. We anchor nose out while weíre there but for loading/unloading we nose in and I guess it didnít take much to get through that outer gel. Keelshield is definitely in my near future! I appreciate all your help