Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tri Star 190 - Sold
I also just sold this boat. In the market for a new one
Old 06-26-2018, 10:32 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, TriStar 190, 1989, Indmar 351
Your post has been extremely helpful to me in my rebuild; the pictures were outstanding. I replaced the center section of the floor, which had gotten soft. Basically what happens is that the wood gets wet and rots and the screws that hold that part of the floor to the walk-thru console eventually lose their grip which lets the floor sag. Your pictures convinced me that the floor piece could be removed without taking out the walk thru console: I used 2 tie down straps, wrapped them around the ski pull pole, put a piece of wood along the front of the floor board to keep the straps from damaging the lip on the board and ran the straps around the piece, then winched the floor pieced out from under the center console. I unscrewed the gas tank and slid it back towards the engine to get the clearance needed to allow the floor piece to pass over the gas tank fittings. If you do this repair, be sure to enlarge the hole under the passenger side of the dash where the gas tank clip screws are located so that it is easier to reinstall the screws afterwards, as removing these screws was difficult; I had to use a small Phillips head screwdriver that fit in my palm as that was all the clearance I had to work with. I replaced the screws with socket head screws and enlarged the access hole, but it was still a difficult installation. I was able to replace the wood and keep the original carpet, so that the new piece matches the rest of the boat. Thanks again for all the great suggestions from getting new dash plates from Greg Weaver (great guy by the way) to replacing the toggle switches and rehabbing the speedos.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tri Star 190 - Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriStar190NTN View Post
Your post has been extremely helpful to me in my rebuild; the pictures were outstanding. I replaced the center section of the floor, which had gotten soft. Basically what happens is that the wood gets wet and rots and the screws that hold that part of the floor to the walk-thru console eventually lose their grip which lets the floor sag. Your pictures convinced me that the floor piece could be removed without taking out the walk thru console: I used 2 tie down straps, wrapped them around the ski pull pole, put a piece of wood along the front of the floor board to keep the straps from damaging the lip on the board and ran the straps around the piece, then winched the floor pieced out from under the center console. I unscrewed the gas tank and slid it back towards the engine to get the clearance needed to allow the floor piece to pass over the gas tank fittings. If you do this repair, be sure to enlarge the hole under the passenger side of the dash where the gas tank clip screws are located so that it is easier to reinstall the screws afterwards, as removing these screws was difficult; I had to use a small Phillips head screwdriver that fit in my palm as that was all the clearance I had to work with. I replaced the screws with socket head screws and enlarged the access hole, but it was still a difficult installation. I was able to replace the wood and keep the original carpet, so that the new piece matches the rest of the boat. Thanks again for all the great suggestions from getting new dash plates from Greg Weaver (great guy by the way) to replacing the toggle switches and rehabbing the speedos.
Im really glad I could help! That's what this forum is for! Even though Ive sold my Tristar ( Looking at getting a newer Mastercaft), I can still answer questions about the Tristar repair, parts, ect.