Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1851  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Eric2010MCX2's Avatar
Eric2010MCX2 Eric2010MCX2 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Boat: 2016 X20,(2010 X2, MCX- Sold)
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlarsen1 View Post
The XStar just about maxs out the tow capacity for that explorer. (I'm looking around for an used explorer V8) Its flat around here but i don't think the V6 could do hilly areas. But I used to have an X2 like yours and that explorer pulls it with no problem. I even towed it through the appalachian mountains one summer! Everyone will say get a V8, but the explorer V6 does just fine for an X2.
Exactly what I needed to know... We will probably get a new/ slightly used SUV in the next 2-3 yrs, but a lot of the ones that get decent gas mileage have a tow capacity that max's at 5,000 lbs. ie: 2010 4 runner V-6... 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L V-6, etc... trying to stay away from V-8's... already have one that chugs gas.
Whatever we get I would like to get at least 17-18 city and 22-23+ on the highway not towing. We would like to be able to take trips into the NC mtns to some of the lakes, but my truck will not be happy and will be gear searching the entire time.
__________________
2016 X20
2010 X2, MCX-sold
2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4x4, duramax/allison
Reply With Quote
  #1852  
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM
russlars's Avatar
russlars russlars is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2010MCX2 View Post
Exactly what I needed to know... We will probably get a new/ slightly used SUV in the next 2-3 yrs, but a lot of the ones that get decent gas mileage have a tow capacity that max's at 5,000 lbs. ie: 2010 4 runner V-6... 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L V-6, etc... trying to stay away from V-8's... already have one that chugs gas.
Whatever we get I would like to get at least 17-18 city and 22-23+ on the highway not towing. We would like to be able to take trips into the NC mtns to some of the lakes, but my truck will not be happy and will be gear searching the entire time.
Don't completely overlook a V-8. My new F150 4X4 with a 5.4L, 3.73 gears, 6 speed transmission and max towing package gets 15-16 mpg in mixed driving. That is as good as a lot of V-6's and is a lot more competent tow vehicle.
__________________
1999 Prostar 205 with 330 HP LTR
Reply With Quote
  #1853  
Old 01-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Eric2010MCX2's Avatar
Eric2010MCX2 Eric2010MCX2 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Boat: 2016 X20,(2010 X2, MCX- Sold)
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars View Post
Don't completely overlook a V-8. My new F150 4X4 with a 5.4L, 3.73 gears, 6 speed transmission and max towing package gets 15-16 mpg in mixed driving. That is as good as a lot of V-6's and is a lot more competent tow vehicle.
my dad's '04 super crew lariat 4x4 gets 12 :-( ... as does my F-150.. his has hte 5 speed auto however. When his was newer he would get 14, now just gets 12 and cant make it go any higher.
__________________
2016 X20
2010 X2, MCX-sold
2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4x4, duramax/allison
Reply With Quote
  #1854  
Old 01-28-2010, 09:23 AM
russlars's Avatar
russlars russlars is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
Location: Northwest
Posts: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric2010MCX2 View Post
my dad's '04 super crew lariat 4x4 gets 12 :-( ... as does my F-150.. his has hte 5 speed auto however. When his was newer he would get 14, now just gets 12 and cant make it go any higher.
Mine only has 5,000 miles on it. Many owners are telling me the gas mileage improves even more as you get over 5,000. I hear reports of highway mileage in the upper teens and low 20's routinely (not towing of course). I'm pretty sure that your dad's is a 4-speed auto. To my knowledge Ford has never offered a 5-speed auto in and F-150.
__________________
1999 Prostar 205 with 330 HP LTR
Reply With Quote
  #1855  
Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Eric2010MCX2's Avatar
Eric2010MCX2 Eric2010MCX2 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Boat: 2016 X20,(2010 X2, MCX- Sold)
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlars View Post
Mine only has 5,000 miles on it. Many owners are telling me the gas mileage improves even more as you get over 5,000. I hear reports of highway mileage in the upper teens and low 20's routinely (not towing of course). I'm pretty sure that your dad's is a 4-speed auto. To my knowledge Ford has never offered a 5-speed auto in and F-150.
I stand corrected... you're right.. and all makes sense now... either way... they are awesome trucks. I love my '96.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...nsmission.html
__________________
2016 X20
2010 X2, MCX-sold
2011 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC SB 4x4, duramax/allison
Reply With Quote
  #1856  
Old 01-30-2010, 08:02 PM
BriEOD's Avatar
BriEOD BriEOD is offline
MC Platinum
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
Location: Severn River, MD
Posts: 9,089
2005 F-150 4x4 5.4L and I'm getting 15-16 according to my Car Care App for my iPhone. It is bone stock.
Reply With Quote
  #1857  
Old 03-01-2010, 07:45 AM
ncsone's Avatar
ncsone ncsone is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 700
Just picked this up this weekend. It is a 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4WD with the 5.7l motor. This thing is a beast. It has the Rock Warrior package which gets you forged aluminum wheels and BFG A/T wheels.

I was shocked at just how much room there is in the back seat of these trucks. There is more legroom than my '07 Tahoe had in it.

I can't wait to get the boat behind this thing!

-Neill
Attached Images
 
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Reply With Quote
  #1858  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:13 AM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is online now
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,705
I'd make sure the Tundra doesn't have the "run away" or braking problem. What a mess that would be it it wouldn't stop or took off on a high speed run with the boat behind it. Very nice looking truck.
Reply With Quote
  #1859  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 AM
ncsone's Avatar
ncsone ncsone is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Boat: 2005 197TT #28 of 100
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'd make sure the Tundra doesn't have the "run away" or braking problem. What a mess that would be it it wouldn't stop or took off on a high speed run with the boat behind it. Very nice looking truck.
If I was worried about that, I would not have bought it. I'm fine with it.
__________________
2005 ProStar 197TT, #28 of 100

Broken Bow, OK vacation cabin for rent -
www.sipnskicabin.com
Reply With Quote
  #1860  
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 AM
carracer's Avatar
carracer carracer is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Boat: MasterCraft 2008 X30
Location: Sheridan Ark. Lake Quachita
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsone View Post
If I was worried about that, I would not have bought it. I'm fine with it.
I agree, I just think it is good for business that the U.S. Goverment beats up on Toyota. Everyone remember the goverment is part owner now in G.M..All the auto makers have defects all auto makers have secrets. To cap it all the petals that are failing are made my an American Company Named C.T.S. and they are not unique to Toyota. C.T.S. sells parts to everyone.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2008, aric drives a moped, aric is awesome, aric is spelled wrong, f150, f350, flux capacitor, fords rule, fords suck, hybrid, luke likes boys, silverado tornados, srt8, tdi, tow mirrors, tundras rock, vortex generator, x2 2008, x45, xstar

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 PM.


2018