Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2016, 01:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X1
Partially torn rotator cuff - will I recover?

Hey all:

Bad news: I took a snow skiing fall (in March)and landed on my left shoulder. Not that bad of a fall but I must have ended up injuring my shoulder.

I have a "deep tissue" partial thickness tear in my rotator cuff.

My orthopaedist gives me a 50-50 chance without surgery.

Has anyone else gone through this? The surgery looks pretty gnarly with a very long recovery. On the other hand I don't want to miss a whole year messing around with PT this year and still need the surgery so I lose out on next year.

If it is able to heal will it get back to 98% (I haven't been 100% since about 35 ).

Any experiences appreciated, especially from a slalom skiing/wakeboarding perspective.

Thanks guys, Steve.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '09 CSX220 SS
A couple years ago I got hit by a car while long boarding and tore my labrum and rotator cuff. The doctor said the rotator cuff was a 25% tear and suggested I only get surgery for the labrum and allow the rotator cuff to heal on its own. Surgery immobilized my arm for one month and honestly it was a full year before I felt 100% and got back to slalom skiing. I have had no issues since.

As a note, I did not ski/board during that entire year...
Old 05-27-2016, 03:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 FlightCraft
I tore mine up a few years ago. It started out with a bad combo of a ladder, tree and chain saw. In an effort to avoid the saw I ended up landing on my outstretched arm. Some unseen rollers midway through a tumble turn during a barefoot run did the rest of the work. I lost a lot of sleep due to the pain when I rolled over, was unable to reach my back pocket or lift my arm above horizontal. Having friends that had gone through the rotator cuff surgery, I wanted to avoid that process if there was any way possible. The orthopedic surgeon I saw gave the option to try PT and a brace. I spent 6 months or so on the PT and have been skiing with the brace since. I'm sure I've lost some strength but I have good movement back, very little pain and feel like the brace helps to avoid future injury.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
Old 05-27-2016, 04:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
I had a similar situation. Best advice I can give is get out of the sling and into Physical Therapy AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I was out of my sling the next day; unless I was out in the public (just warn them not to hit my arm) and was at PT 2 days after my surgery (partial tear in rotator cuff, and a bicep head reattachment, cleaned out some spurs in the joint). I did mine in December and skied in late June.

Left side now hurting some. I am trying to take my PT exercises and stretches and do some work on my left. It does not cause issue when pulling on it (skiing), hurts to stretch it out under my wife's pillow at night and then hurts when pushing weight.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 SAN
2 shoulder surgery here. Same shoulder 15 years apart.

Surgery now days is not bad if needed, just follow therapy
To get full movement back.

They try rehab/ physical therapy first to save insurance companys $$.

For me anyways it just wasted 6 months.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1992 w/powerslot
Had both shoulders done , latest was 98% torn . Surgery in November skiing in april . I would try and ski it for the summer and if it gets worse do the surgery in he fall , rehab is 3-4 months and hurts like a mother for a couple weeks , Either way hit the pt as hard as possible
Old 05-29-2016, 08:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: boatless
How limited are you right now? Can you do what you want to do?

How was this diagnosed? MRI?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X30
Had two rotators, labrum, and some bone spurs cleaned up back in April. Sling comes off next week! The first 6 weeks are critical to not tear up the fresh repair. Next is PT, I started my PT I think on day 5, and let me tell you it hurts, but it will be more than worth it. I have talked to people who have tried PT without surgery, and never regained full movement or pain. I'm one of them, I tried PT for 3 months with no real gain. The ****ty part is, I'm pretty much grounded for the summer, but I'm glad I did it this time of year, verse winter, there's no way I could have gone through winter clothes or stuck inside.
ETA; I was also given a cotizone shot, which really didn't do much either?

Last edited by stennes; 05-30-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPhil View Post
How limited are you right now? Can you do what you want to do?

How was this diagnosed? MRI?
The orthopedic surgeon knew, but he also had me do a MRI, where they inject dye under pressure to find the tears, which I swear the needle was a rail road spike with a hole in it!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X1
Update:

DOCPHIL: MRI with contrast, though the Doctor was 90% certain of his diagnosis before the MRI.

I have been doing PT 2X week and I am hopeful. I have been doing lots of upper-back strengthening and also some stretching. I overdid it last week and had to back off some. At this point the pain is getting less almost every day. Wish me luck guys.

Thanks for the input!

Steve.