Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2018, 03:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205 351HO
Bad Trailer Brakes- removing entirely??

So the brakes in my trailer are not working and probably have not worked for quite some time. The previous owner only trailered it about 50 ft to boat ramp and never needed them. My question is since my boat is not really heavy, would it be okay to run 1 or 2 heavy bolts through the tongue to keep it from sliding back and forth? There is not an existing hole to run one through but I can just remove the actuator and drill through the tongue and put some strong bolts in there to keep it from moving while towing.

Thoughts or pics of anyone else that has done this? I could also just weld the actuator housing to the trailer but didn't want to do this in case we sold it and someone wanted trailer brakes again.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2017 Mastercraft Xt21
Legally if you are over 3500lbs trailer and boat you need brakes. One axle.

That said spend some money on getting it fixed. If ever in accident and you by-passed breaks your insurance maybe null

2008 Mastercraft 40th Anniversary X-star SOLD

1981 J-craft 19 long deck ski boat w/200 Mercury Black Max (the gas guzzler)

2008 Touareg V8 Galapagos Metallic, Sienna leather, Execline, Technology pkg, Sports pkg,Class III hitch.

2017 Audi S3 Technik Ara Blue Crystal Effect with Advanced Handling package
Old 04-03-2018, 04:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter205 View Post
So the brakes in my trailer are not working and probably have not worked for quite some time. The previous owner only trailered it about 50 ft to boat ramp and never needed them. My question is since my boat is not really heavy, would it be okay to run 1 or 2 heavy bolts through the tongue to keep it from sliding back and forth? There is not an existing hole to run one through but I can just remove the actuator and drill through the tongue and put some strong bolts in there to keep it from moving while towing.

Thoughts or pics of anyone else that has done this? I could also just weld the actuator housing to the trailer but didn't want to do this in case we sold it and someone wanted trailer brakes again.
if they aren't working then why care if the actuator moves? just leave well enough alone and call it a day... or... MCOD... and fix it..
Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X2
I just installed the Hydrastar electric-hydraulic asystem on my trailer. My trailer is a 2014 and the brakes were not very effective compared to those of my enclosed trailer. A pretty easy DIY. About $700 total and statistically much safer than surge. (According to their website.)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
if they aren't working then why care if the actuator moves? just leave well enough alone and call it a day... or... MCOD... and fix it..
Because the CLUNK sucks when starting or stopping.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:02 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
Because the CLUNK sucks when starting or stopping.
Yes, the clunk is very annoying.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 07:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
I fixed my UFP sliding tongue last summer when I installed electric brakes on the axles. I removed the master cylinder and shock and replaced with a steel tube. The steel tube has two smaller tubes on each end that mimic the master cylinder and pick up the cross pins. From the outside it looks completely stock, just doesn't slide. Sorry, don't have any pics.

I also considered replacing the inner slide with a piece of steel tube and a new coupler. Forget the size, but it would be a standard piece of rectangle tube (3x4 maybe?). Might be an easier, and reversible, solution.

If it were me, I'd want brakes. That said, I have all the UFP parts I removed from mine for sale. Calipers, master cylinder, rotors. etc. If you're interested, let me know.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:30 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Fix the brakes - be safe -- the clunk on the surge brake can be fixed with a fresh shock in the actuator. if the brakes aren't stopping well on the surge brakes they need to be adjusted... most of the problems stem from poor bleeding.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:44 PM
TT Regular

It looks like the problem is it was never serviced. Rust down in the reservoir and I haven't even tried to look at the lines but they may be shot too.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I too have a '92 PS 205 with single axle trailer. It seems that at least a couple of times a year I have an OH $HIT moment when I need to stop RIGHT NOW! I replaced the old rusty drums, contaminated lines, and rusty actuator with new disks, composite lines and a hinged actuator. It works great, no clunk, and no more fecal puckering.