Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM
VOLFAN's Avatar
VOLFAN VOLFAN is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Mastercraft, X-2, 2003, 350 Indmar (My First)
Location: Center Hill Lake
Posts: 1,477
I have the same problem... I am not a fan of this setup with the plastic drain plug.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
VOLFAN's Avatar
VOLFAN VOLFAN is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Boat: Mastercraft, X-2, 2003, 350 Indmar (My First)
Location: Center Hill Lake
Posts: 1,477
Does anyone know the size of the o-ring? Just curious so I can pick up a couple so i can replace next time I am at the boat.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
SkiDog's Avatar
SkiDog SkiDog is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 07 X2, again!
Location: South of North
Posts: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Tighten it...want some spinache?

Mine doesn't leak. Did you check the O-Ring as Eric said?
O Ring? I ain't seen no stinkin O ring! Who needs an O ring when the damn thing is crossthreaded, anyway?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 PM
captain planet's Avatar
captain planet captain planet is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Location: Canton, Ohio
Posts: 7,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
O Ring? I ain't seen no stinkin O ring! Who needs an O ring when the damn thing is crossthreaded, anyway?
A cross-thread is worth 2 lock washers isn't it?
__________________
2003 ProStar 197, MCX and Powerslot.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT
"When the government lies, the truth becomes a traitor."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-17-2009, 04:13 PM
TMCNo1 TMCNo1 is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Gone
Location: Gone
Posts: 22,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
O Ring? I ain't seen no stinkin O ring! Who needs an O ring when the damn thing is crossthreaded, anyway?

That's some Gawga engineerin' if'n I ever seed it!
__________________
Charter Member Number 1

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.




Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
Location: _______Wastebasket_________________________
Posts: 13,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Interesting. Glad I still have brass on my 11 year old boat. Never cross thread it it, though I do have to contort myself to get it screwed in.
They don't make-em like they used to
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.X-30 fan
Say yes to cheap beer---- no to ethanol.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: XT22
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 11,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLFAN View Post
Does anyone know the size of the o-ring? Just curious so I can pick up a couple so i can replace next time I am at the boat.

I'd get a spare plug just to have if I were you. Then you can match the o-ring. I'll measure my o-ring tonight though.
__________________
Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM
sk8salomon's Avatar
sk8salomon sk8salomon is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: 2007 PS197 TT
Location: Nooga, TN
Posts: 621
wow, this thread has taken off! thanks for all the info guys. yes, the o-ring is there and not damaged or cut. as others have said above, i know it has cross threaded at least once because it will start easy then about 3 turns in lock up. i just thought it was a typical tapered pipe thread and just sealed quickly. i think i'll get a new plug for starters, then if that doesn't seal up, i might try drilling out the female (huh huh). glad to hear others have had similar issues and i'm not the only dipstick. it does suck tho to think less quality parts are slowy taking over. anybody ever had problems with a leaky or cross threaded brass plug??? i would bet not.
__________________
Sold my '89 PS190

'07 PS197 TT w/PP & ZO

club boat '12 PS197 TT
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 PM
sk8salomon's Avatar
sk8salomon sk8salomon is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Boat: 2007 PS197 TT
Location: Nooga, TN
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I'll measure my o-ring tonight though.
you should already know.
__________________
Sold my '89 PS190

'07 PS197 TT w/PP & ZO

club boat '12 PS197 TT
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 PM
JohnE's Avatar
JohnE JohnE is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Boat: XT22
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 11,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8salomon View Post
wow, this thread has taken off! thanks for all the info guys. yes, the o-ring is there and not damaged or cut. as others have said above, i know it has cross threaded at least once because it will start easy then about 3 turns in lock up. i just thought it was a typical tapered pipe thread and just sealed quickly. i think i'll get a new plug for starters, then if that doesn't seal up, i might try drilling out the female (huh huh). glad to hear others have had similar issues and i'm not the only dipstick. it does suck tho to think less quality parts are slowy taking over. anybody ever had problems with a leaky or cross threaded brass plug??? i would bet not.

That's the problem. It isn't a tapered thread. The O-Ring is what is the actual seal. I'd limp through the season and change it over the winter if I were you.
__________________
Prior boats - (3) X14's, (3) Prostars, and a Tristar.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 PM.


2018