Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Looking For Feedback

Technical Services is looking to build some new products

How many of you would be interested in a computer based software to scan and log your boat for $290

Or how many of you would be intrested in tuning software for any MEFI for $1100 and each additional ECM is $200?

Or do you have any idea for a new engine product (conversion kits, wiring harness, ECM upgrades, port fuel upgrades, LS motor upgrades)

https://www.facebook.com/TechServices801/
Old 09-21-2018, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
i think a scan tool would go a long way... theres a lot of threads on here about rough running, poor idle, hard starting, etc that could easily be traced to a specific bad sensor or something wiring if we had access to a basic scan/log setup
Old 09-21-2018, 04:20 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
i think a scan tool would go a long way... theres a lot of threads on here about rough running, poor idle, hard starting, etc that could easily be traced to a specific bad sensor or something wiring if we had access to a basic scan/log setup
Thanks for your feedback. Right now the scan tool is prices as low as we can go. Do you think that price will turn people away?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
If my boat were throwing a code I'd pay $300 for the tool. That is if I could use it on multiple boats/manufactures. I'd like it a lot more if it were $150 but you'll probably spend close to $300 just to have a shop to read your code.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I think I'd be interested in a scan tool- I have an '03, so I'm not sure what flavor of ECM i have, but I can see where it would be useful to be able to troubleshoot issues at home. Given the age of the boat, I'd like to get out ahead of any possible issues that may arise in the future.

As far as other projects, I know there are boat years (I think mine might be one) that have issues with the electronic gauges and people swap over to analog gauges. Maybe a wiring harness (or harness adapters?) for that or similar swaps?
G
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalServices View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Right now the scan tool is prices as low as we can go. Do you think that price will turn people away?
People spend more than that on wakesurf boards so I'd hope not haha
I have an 04 so I'm not sure I'd be your target audience but I'd gladly pay 200-300 for a scan tool, especially if it worked on a wide range of engines so I could keep it when we upgrade
Old 09-24-2018, 09:34 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
If my boat were throwing a code I'd pay $300 for the tool. That is if I could use it on multiple boats/manufactures. I'd like it a lot more if it were $150 but you'll probably spend close to $300 just to have a shop to read your code.

Thanks for the feedback! Our tool would be able to read codes and log any boat ruining a MEFI ECM controller so (1993-2008) mastercraft, malibu, super/moomba and some of the new boats that run Marine power engines with the MEFI 6
Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
Someone with a multimeter can test most sensors and find the problem fairly easily. It's more an issue of not knowing the correct parameters and logic of the system that causes people to drag out the parts cannon to waste time & money and build frustration. If you read enough threads and posts, you'll see people who don't know what to look for in something that costs more than all of their cars combines, diving into a problem they would never consider attempting to fix on a car or truck, even though the boat is still under warranty. I understand the scarcity of MC dealers and their unwillingness to allow other service shops to work on in-warranty boats, but the rest baffles me.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalServices View Post
Not trying to limit your revenue potential but how about an interface for connecting a regular scanner to the ALDL? Pound as hard as you want, they just. do. not. fit. together.

WRT the tuning software- this would be limited to a range of values for fuel delivery that would inherently prevent running too lean, right? How would someone know if they have reached the preferred Air:Fuel ratio?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:44 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Not trying to limit your revenue potential but how about an interface for connecting a regular scanner to the ALDL? Pound as hard as you want, they just. do. not. fit. together.

WRT the tuning software- this would be limited to a range of values for fuel delivery that would inherently prevent running too lean, right? How would someone know if they have reached the preferred Air:Fuel ratio?
The tuning software would allow you to do whatever you want (richen/lean) out the fuel mixture the only way you would be able to tell how you are ruining is with a wideband air fuel ration meter on your boat.