Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:34 PM
TechnicalServices's Avatar
TechnicalServices TechnicalServices is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Location: midwest
Posts: 36
Looking For Feedback

Technical Services is looking to build some new products

How many of you would be interested in a computer based software to scan and log your boat for $290

Or how many of you would be intrested in tuning software for any MEFI for $1100 and each additional ECM is $200?

Or do you have any idea for a new engine product (conversion kits, wiring harness, ECM upgrades, port fuel upgrades, LS motor upgrades)

https://www.facebook.com/TechServices801/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-21-2018, 03:46 PM
ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
ValveCoverGasket ValveCoverGasket is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Boat: '04 X9
Location: pnw
Posts: 315
i think a scan tool would go a long way... theres a lot of threads on here about rough running, poor idle, hard starting, etc that could easily be traced to a specific bad sensor or something wiring if we had access to a basic scan/log setup
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2018, 04:20 PM
TechnicalServices's Avatar
TechnicalServices TechnicalServices is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Location: midwest
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
i think a scan tool would go a long way... theres a lot of threads on here about rough running, poor idle, hard starting, etc that could easily be traced to a specific bad sensor or something wiring if we had access to a basic scan/log setup
Thanks for your feedback. Right now the scan tool is prices as low as we can go. Do you think that price will turn people away?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2018, 08:23 PM
ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
ValveCoverGasket ValveCoverGasket is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Boat: '04 X9
Location: pnw
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalServices View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Right now the scan tool is prices as low as we can go. Do you think that price will turn people away?
People spend more than that on wakesurf boards so I'd hope not haha
I have an 04 so I'm not sure I'd be your target audience but I'd gladly pay 200-300 for a scan tool, especially if it worked on a wide range of engines so I could keep it when we upgrade
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:10 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalServices View Post
Thanks for your feedback. Right now the scan tool is prices as low as we can go. Do you think that price will turn people away?
Not trying to limit your revenue potential but how about an interface for connecting a regular scanner to the ALDL? Pound as hard as you want, they just. do. not. fit. together.

WRT the tuning software- this would be limited to a range of values for fuel delivery that would inherently prevent running too lean, right? How would someone know if they have reached the preferred Air:Fuel ratio?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:44 AM
TechnicalServices's Avatar
TechnicalServices TechnicalServices is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Location: midwest
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Not trying to limit your revenue potential but how about an interface for connecting a regular scanner to the ALDL? Pound as hard as you want, they just. do. not. fit. together.

WRT the tuning software- this would be limited to a range of values for fuel delivery that would inherently prevent running too lean, right? How would someone know if they have reached the preferred Air:Fuel ratio?
The tuning software would allow you to do whatever you want (richen/lean) out the fuel mixture the only way you would be able to tell how you are ruining is with a wideband air fuel ration meter on your boat.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:53 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalServices View Post
The tuning software would allow you to do whatever you want (richen/lean) out the fuel mixture the only way you would be able to tell how you are ruining is with a wideband air fuel ration meter on your boat.
What air/fuel meter do you recommend?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:06 AM
JimN's Avatar
JimN JimN is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
i think a scan tool would go a long way... theres a lot of threads on here about rough running, poor idle, hard starting, etc that could easily be traced to a specific bad sensor or something wiring if we had access to a basic scan/log setup
Someone with a multimeter can test most sensors and find the problem fairly easily. It's more an issue of not knowing the correct parameters and logic of the system that causes people to drag out the parts cannon to waste time & money and build frustration. If you read enough threads and posts, you'll see people who don't know what to look for in something that costs more than all of their cars combines, diving into a problem they would never consider attempting to fix on a car or truck, even though the boat is still under warranty. I understand the scarcity of MC dealers and their unwillingness to allow other service shops to work on in-warranty boats, but the rest baffles me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 PM
ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
ValveCoverGasket ValveCoverGasket is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Boat: '04 X9
Location: pnw
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Someone with a multimeter can test most sensors and find the problem fairly easily. It's more an issue of not knowing the correct parameters and logic of the system that causes people to drag out the parts cannon to waste time & money and build frustration.
No doubt, but I think a scan tool is still a helpful first step even for someone with the knowledge and skills to check things with a meter. And for those without the skill to take it further, a scan tool showing a fault on a specific sensor is a good way to limit the target of that parts cannon haha
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 PM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,888
If my boat were throwing a code I'd pay $300 for the tool. That is if I could use it on multiple boats/manufactures. I'd like it a lot more if it were $150 but you'll probably spend close to $300 just to have a shop to read your code.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.


2018