Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 07:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Good to see this thread still going.
I am running on year #11 of having my truck sprayed each fall and am still amazed at the fact I have no rust. It's a 2006 GMC 2500HD CC 4x4 that spent at least 8 years plowing snow, so it has had a great deal of exposure to the elements that feed rust. I also have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler, which are notorious for rust, and it has been sprayed since new and still rust free and looking new.

The vehicles get treated each fall for $55 and are sprayed with new hydraulic fluid (inside the doors, rockers, under belly, around door handles, logos, etc.). I see similar vehicles running around everyday that are rusted which further convinces me that it is money well spent.

The question for me still remains....how does the EPA not jump all over this. The place that sprays mine is out in the open with no real means of containment. The place is well advertised and packed every weekend so it is not like they are flying under the radar. I have gotten to know the owner a bit and when asked he simply says that since it is new hydraulic fluid and nothing used is sprayed, there is no issue with it leaking into the ground.
Any thoughts because this place is literally a license to print money.
3 thoughts
1. the EPA thing sounds like a loop hole in the law wording that's being exploited until someone closes it up.
2. sounds like it would make a huge mess under the vehicle with dirt sticking etc.
3. awesome it really works.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:29 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post
3 thoughts
1. the EPA thing sounds like a loop hole in the law wording that's being exploited until someone closes it up.
2. sounds like it would make a huge mess under the vehicle with dirt sticking etc.
3. awesome it really works.
For #2 I think thatís half the reason it works so well.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:00 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Every time I see this thread it makes me feel more sorry for you guys who havenít left the rust belt!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-12-2018, 07:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
its amazing the guys in Ohio get this done for $55, I wish we had that deal around here... meanwhile it sounds like the specialty fluid is $75 alone from amazon. I would assume to have the fluid film guys in NH do it is at least $200.
Doing anything to stop the stupid and destructive rust sounds great. I wonder how horrible it is to work on your car afterwards with a coating of oil and dirt on the underside.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:10 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
The mess is not nearly as bad as you think. I will admit that for at least 3-4 days after having this done, my vehicles do not touch the concrete but after that they stop dripping and you are good to go. You do have to go around and wipe off the excess in door jambs, etc, so that you don't get it on you when entering/exiting vehicles but it does not take long and again, if it beats the rust I am all for it.
When I first started doing this the advise was always to find a dirt road and drive down it after you have this done as it helps to solidify it on the frame etc. While I have never done this, I can say that I have a good build up on the under carriage. I recently had to replace the mechanism that holds the spare tire up under my GMC bed and will say that for a 12 year old truck, the bolts came loose very easily and the mess was minimal. Absolutely I had plenty of built up dirt and oil on my hands but having the tire down and seeing the underside of the bed with no rust....well, again proof positive it works. The dirt/dust build up pretty much just comes off in chunks. Now if you have it worked on immediately after spraying, well, its going to be a bit more oily.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayR View Post
I wonder how horrible it is to work on your car afterwards with a coating of oil and dirt on the underside.
Depends what is more horrible for you. Grease/oil covering everything, or rusted/seized bolts making taking things apart very difficult.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:37 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
I do both vehicles every year. The old Mazda 3 had body work done and then I had it sprayed every year and it never came back. Had body work done on the suburban and didn't have it sprayed for the first two years, rust came back. Started having it sprayed and the rust stopped advancing. Works wonders. In fact, I'm thinking about taking my tandem axle 10K flat bed trailer in to be sprayed this year. It doesn't see the salt, but being 10 years old the underside is starting to rust a little so, why not?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
Every time I see this thread it makes me feel more sorry for you guys who havenít left the rust belt!
I feel for the people who buy used cars from there. Never ever buy a used car from Ohio or Maryland
Old 10-16-2018, 02:20 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
jkski you should have gone this past weekend. I got both my vehicles done, taking each myself from Canton, and had them done inside the time the Buckeyes game was on. Less than 3.5 hours, both done.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Good for you man.....I was at The Buckeye's game!!!
Gonna try and get 1 vehicle there this weekend and if not then will wait for early November and do it.