Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-27-2018, 12:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Subscribed to this also... duplicate threads drive me nuts.

I've come off plane from 40+ with this never happening. Conversely, I've buried the tip of the boat at very low speeds, usually going through my own wake to pick up a downed skier.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2018, 01:47 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Haven't driven a 197 specifically but have driven plenty of 190s/SNs over the years and have personally owned a 97 190 and an open bow 89 TriStar 190.

I'll start by saying that all tournament boats demand a very serious amount of respect and would not recommend any of them for first time boaters. This being said I have numerous hours pulling bare footers, slalom skiers, trick skiers and tubes behind these boats. I have also chopped the throttle from full speed, performed power turns and very hard turns at speed without the bow diving underwater to any degree near as severe as described by the OP and have never thrown a passenger out of the boat during any of my driving, ever. I have taken water over the bow when not paying attention going through chop or when crossing over my own wake to pick up a skier but throw a passenger out over the front over the boat? No sir, never, not even close to that.

Not calling your experience in to question but I do wonder if there isn't something more to this. I would think that if the footer was still behind the boat the drag if anything would have tended to keep the bow level as you're pulling the stern back/down. So the next logical questions for me would be.....

Have you addressed this with MasterCraft or a lawyer?
How was the boat was set up (number of passengers/gear and where the placement in the boat of both were).
Were you running any kind of ballast?
What were the water conditions at the time (I would expect excellent as you were bare footing)?
What engine is in the boat?

Not sure what happened to your boat in your situation but I haven't had this experience nor has anyone else I've skied with that I know of.

Last edited by bturner2; 09-27-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 18 XSTAR
You sure you didn't accidentally hit reverse...?
Old 09-27-2018, 03:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2016 ProStar 6.2L
You know that is what happened.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:31 PM
TT Newbie

I have been running inboards for nearly thirty years every weekend from April through October as I have a place on a lake. I have pulled all sport types, but countless hours on footing and skiing. So I am confident on experience level. As the original owner of this 2005, built in 2004, 14 years with this boat. I always chop back from speed to idle, not neutral as done here. There was 16 year old and 11 year old girls in the front. The water was smooth and also had another boat footing along side. (Their account was it looked like the boat hit something and stuffed the nose) I am certain I did not hit reverse, it was idling in neutral when we popped up. Also if I hit reverse at that speed I would have added a transmission to the list of parts that were damaged. I have seen another inboard do that and the result to the transmission (trashed).

I saw the video posted as well as was sent a link to a video regarding a 197 in a ski course.

I also since the incident have tested going to neutral at a much lower speed and the nose started to dip, but I caught it.

I am not looking to sue and not talking to lawyers. I was just surprised when it happened and that I was not alone, and think worthy of a warning. If there was any coverage for this it would be go to know as well. But at this time a life lesson (hopefully once in a life) to share.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:43 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Glad to hear everyone is OK.
So how often do you have folks in the bow when running like this?
I am seriously wondering if you didn't get some sort of chine-lock occur that stuffed the nose. I've experienced chine-lock when turning and certainly am not a hydro-engineer to understand how this happens or could happen but sure sounds like the sun, moon and stars all aligned to cause the perfect set of circumstances causing this.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
I have been running inboards for nearly thirty years every weekend from April through October as I have a place on a lake. I have pulled all sport types, but countless hours on footing and skiing. So I am confident on experience level. As the original owner of this 2005, built in 2004, 14 years with this boat. I always chop back from speed to idle, not neutral as done here. There was 16 year old and 11 year old girls in the front. The water was smooth and also had another boat footing along side. (Their account was it looked like the boat hit something and stuffed the nose) I am certain I did not hit reverse, it was idling in neutral when we popped up. Also if I hit reverse at that speed I would have added a transmission to the list of parts that were damaged. I have seen another inboard do that and the result to the transmission (trashed).

I saw the video posted as well as was sent a link to a video regarding a 197 in a ski course.

I also since the incident have tested going to neutral at a much lower speed and the nose started to dip, but I caught it.

I am not looking to sue and not talking to lawyers. I was just surprised when it happened and that I was not alone, and think worthy of a warning. If there was any coverage for this it would be go to know as well. But at this time a life lesson (hopefully once in a life) to share.
If it was a design flaw, you would have seen it in the 14 years you have owned it before now. I've been in/around/behind inboards my whole life, never had this happen. I've owned my 197 for a year and been in/around/behind it the 13 years my buddy owned it, never had anything like this happen. Sure you didn't bump that log a little coming off plane and it pushed your nose down a little?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:42 PM
TT Newbie

I have had people in the front while footing before, but usually just the 11 year old, who was obviously younger in prior years, and sometimes another young friend. This was not the first run with an older kid, but it was not that often. And never chopped to neutral, always to at least idle, both from the standpoint of not letting the bow dip and to not abuse the tranny going from a high speed engaged in drive to disengaging to neutral. But other than the effect on the "perfect storm", there is no specific limit on size of the bow passengers.

We did not bump the log, as it was on the side of the boat when spotted just below the surface with reaction time putting the boat past it with the chop back.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
No one is allowed in the front of my 197 while underway. For reasons like this.

I could totally see it doing a nose dive when throttle back quickly into neutral, even if it was only 150 lbs added in the front.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
I always chop back from speed to idle, not neutral as done here
Agree. This is much easier on a private lake since you know exactly where you're going to drop the skier. My stops are never abrubt

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk