Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 04-23-2015, 05:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X45 8.1
Question on changing out head unit and remotes

I was on a buddies boat that had the new Fusion radios and man they were awesome. The head unit was easy to use but the biggest thing was the remotes were much, much, much easier to use.

For you radio guys out there can I simply take out my CMD6 and plug in the Fusion head unit? I am guessing I would need to run new cable to the remotes but that wouldn't be a big deal. I am also assuming that I can keep the amps, speakers, and sub all the same?

I can get the head unit on Amazon and 2 remotes for fairly cheap and I then could sell the CMD6 with remotes myself.

Boat is a 2010 X45

Thoughts?
Old 05-05-2015, 02:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlerdaddy View Post
I was on a buddies boat that had the new Fusion radios and man they were awesome. The head unit was easy to use but the biggest thing was the remotes were much, much, much easier to use.

For you radio guys out there can I simply take out my CMD6 and plug in the Fusion head unit? I am guessing I would need to run new cable to the remotes but that wouldn't be a big deal. I am also assuming that I can keep the amps, speakers, and sub all the same?

I can get the head unit on Amazon and 2 remotes for fairly cheap and I then could sell the CMD6 with remotes myself.

Boat is a 2010 X45

Thoughts?
I just saw that Clarion is supposed to be coming out with an MF2 Wi-Fi remote module that uses an app for remote control. I have no experience with the Fusion products, but I have avoided upgrading to other brands mainly due to the holes that I have for 3 wired remotes in my boat. I started out with a CMD4 then CMD5 now I have a CMD6. Upgrading to the new remotes was way more expensive than the head unit for me. Clarion is pretty good at announcing new products and never releasing them though. The MW4 remote and CMD9 still haven't been released so who knows if the MF2 will ever see the light of day.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X9 - 2003
Stereo systems used to be useful for:

FM Radio
Music source (ie CDs)
amplifier
preamp outputs
EQ
volume knob

Now, IMO, if you use your smart phone which is much more powerful, you only need a preamp that has bluetooth (or aux) input and a volume knob. Everything else is just money. Again my opinion.

I ditched the radio and went with a JL audio HD-RLC and 7 band EQ and haven't looked back. $100
Old 05-09-2015, 10:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X9 - 2003
p.s. - what about a remote? http://www.satechi.net/index.php/sma...s-media-button

Boom done.

Tags
2010, clarion, fusion, radio, x45