Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-25-2017, 09:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
running a set of 285/70x17 Toyo RTs on my 2500 Cummins, seem to be doing pretty good on wear but traction in clay/black mud leaves something to be desired. I have run a variety of heavier mud traction tires but they are all loud and haven't been able to get many miles before they are worn out.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
running a set of 285/70x17 Toyo RTs on my 2500 Cummins, seem to be doing pretty good on wear but traction in clay/black mud leaves something to be desired. I have run a variety of heavier mud traction tires but they are all loud and haven't been able to get many miles before they are worn out.
I have never had good luck with Toyo tires. I find they are a softer tire and the tread on the All terrians are not very deep.

I run BFG A/Ts and they are the only tire I have seen 55k-60k tire life out of.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
You don't need 4wd for the trails

Old 05-25-2017, 03:13 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I ran half the trails in 2wd in the rubicon lol. I didn't have the balls to take it on the real serious stuff since it was my DD

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2017

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=77736

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 05-25-2017, 03:18 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
I ran half the trails in 2wd in the rubicon lol. I didn't have the balls to take it on the real serious stuff since it was my DD
Never stopped me, only trees did

Old 05-25-2017, 03:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, Violet (purple) & white ... previous 1983 black/silver stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastercraftdave View Post
I have never had good luck with Toyo tires. I find they are a softer tire and the tread on the All terrians are not very deep.

I run BFG A/Ts and they are the only tire I have seen 55k-60k tire life out of.
my son went thru 3 sets of BFG A/T and only got 25-30k miles in our country, they work well in sand/sandy soil but the limestone rocks in our area eat them along with black gumbo/clay mud, they quickly become slicks as they don't clean out well, leaving you stuck.

He then ran 2 sets of Toyo Open Country M/T on his current truck with decent mileage (45-50k) but holy cow were they noisy and his fuel mileage stunk. The more worn, the louder they got.

I ran 2 sets of Nitto Trail Grappler M/T before going to these Toyo RTs. Both sets of the Nitto's were under 4/32 (won't pass inspection) before 30k miles. I drive to much to wear tires out that fast. I am still in the testing stage on the Toyo RTs as I only have about 15k miles on them so far, but they have a lot more tread still left over the Nitto's did at that same mileage... but they don't self clean in mud around here very well.

I would go back to Goodyear Duratrac but they don't offer a load range E in a 285/70r17 (or 295/70r17). I had those on my previous truck (but 16" wheel) and got over 50k miles out of two different sets.

both my son and I have 2500 4x4 Cummins, so a pretty heavy vehicle to start with ... the BFG A/T might work just fine on a half ton gas rig ... but would still get stuck in my area.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
my son went thru 3 sets of BFG A/T and only got 25-30k miles in our country, they work well in sand/sandy soil but the limestone rocks in our area eat them along with black gumbo/clay mud, they quickly become slicks as they don't clean out well, leaving you stuck.

He then ran 2 sets of Toyo Open Country M/T on his current truck with decent mileage (45-50k) but holy cow were they noisy and his fuel mileage stunk. The more worn, the louder they got.

I ran 2 sets of Nitto Trail Grappler M/T before going to these Toyo RTs. Both sets of the Nitto's were under 4/32 (won't pass inspection) before 30k miles. I drive to much to wear tires out that fast. I am still in the testing stage on the Toyo RTs as I only have about 15k miles on them so far, but they have a lot more tread still left over the Nitto's did at that same mileage... but they don't self clean in mud around here very well.

I would go back to Goodyear Duratrac but they don't offer a load range E in a 285/70r17 (or 295/70r17). I had those on my previous truck (but 16" wheel) and got over 50k miles out of two different sets.

both my son and I have 2500 4x4 Cummins, so a pretty heavy vehicle to start with ... the BFG A/T might work just fine on a half ton gas rig ... but would still get stuck in my area.
I find your description to fit perfect for the KO1 BFGs but the new KO2 I find to work a lot better in clay. I have used my truck to get around some at the hunting lease and the Mississippi red clay doesn't affect the now KO2s as much. The Toyo MTs will sling the clay out very easily.

I just like the ride quality, durability, and tread depth of the BFG ATs compared to Nitto and Toyo All terrains.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 PM
MC Devotee

Good to know the BFG AT KO2 works better! I might have to give them a try when the Toyo RT need replacing. I know they are a good looking tire, but having to pull my son out on several occasions when he was running the BFG AT (10-15 years ago) on his old truck has me biased. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X10 6.0L
Berthoud Pass, CO, Top of Continental Divide @ 11,306'

Tags
2008, aric drives a moped, aric is awesome, f150, f350, flux capacitor, fords rule, fords suck, hybrid, luke likes boys, silverado tornados, srt8, tdi, tow mirrors, tundras rock, vortex generator, x2 2008, x45, xstar