Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-18-2018, 12:49 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
how many miles? replace bushings, sway end links, shocks...etc. Coils and major steel parts should be fine, but bearings should all be checked. I've had few Toyotas...great trucks, but they rust out pretty fast up here in NorthEast, and the calipers are a definate issue.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Typically, any plastic/rubber/neoprene bushing/insulator that connects the hard parts of the moving suspension to the non-moving rigid frame, tend to wear out causing that wonder/sway.

Sway bar links, leaf spring bushings (and bolts), are examples of what likely needs to be replaced. Id go ahead and put on a new pair of shocks/struts as well.

This winter, I rebuilt the entire front and rear end of my 15 yr old trailblazer. Made a HUGE difference. Sadly, it was totaled last month. Didnt even get 10K on the overhaul.

You may find an overhaul kit, otherwise you need to piece together a la carte.
Everything here is great advice. I did the overhaul as stated above on my tahoe at 100k miles and it was the best money spent on the vehicle so far (I used 5100 shocks). Has 155k on it and still running smooth (well, relatively smooth. the tires make the ride a bit rough, but suspension is GREAT ).
Old 09-18-2018, 01:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: paddle
Ball joints and shocks alone would make a world of difference.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
how many miles? replace bushings, sway end links, shocks...etc. Coils and major steel parts should be fine, but bearings should all be checked. I've had few Toyotas...great trucks, but they rust out pretty fast up here in NorthEast, and the calipers are a definate issue.
145K miles.... thoughts??
Old 09-18-2018, 06:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
Everything here is great advice. I did the overhaul as stated above on my tahoe at 100k miles and it was the best money spent on the vehicle so far (I used 5100 shocks). Has 155k on it and still running smooth (well, relatively smooth. the tires make the ride a bit rough, but suspension is GREAT ).
Really appreciate the advice!
Old 09-19-2018, 07:16 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
Lotta miles for a Toyota, but as long as frame isnt rusted, changing all those wear items should be enough. You should get on the Tundra forums and see what those guys say...
Old 09-19-2018, 09:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Shocks are the biggest factor when it comes to suspension ride quality. Bilstein 5100 are nice shocks. Lots of other options here too.

Springs only need replaced when they break or sag. No need to replace them otherwise.

Sway bar links will clunk or the bushings will show signs of wear.

A dry steering test will help reveal anything loose in the front end. If you're not familiar, have a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth rapidly while you watch underneath for slop. Do this with the motor off and the tires on the ground. Pay attention to tie rod ends, control arm bushings, any anything else suspension or steering related. If you see excess movement or hear popping, you have a problem.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoggyNogginz View Post
You got a lot of miles out of the stock parts, especially on a vehicle so heavy. I think it will be definitely worth it for you to replace these parts at 145k miles especially if you plan on keeping the truck for a few more years.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I changed to rancho 9000xl's for a 1/2 ton they are great they can go soft to hard for towing... for a 3/4 or one ton it wasn't as obvious on the soft part...

Last edited by curver900; 09-19-2018 at 12:56 PM.