Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-10-2018, 11:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymonkey View Post
Awesome!!! Thanks man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure thing!

I'll also include my improvement thread as well.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=60004

1998 MariStar 225VRS, 350ci LT1

Authorized Dealer for
Old 07-10-2018, 12:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 MariStar 210 VRS EFI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
Sure thing!

I'll also include my improvement thread as well.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=60004

She’s a great looking boat. Looks just like mine. I was going to ask where you got your decals? They look great but then I saw where you removed them. I know a lot of folks remove them permanently, but we love the true retro look. Plus I can’t get rid of my shadows. We’ve even wet-sanded them but the fading was so bad on the port side from years of neglect. I think putting replacements over will look better. So are you still running 15-40 in your V-drive? Mine has that “rock tumbling” sound at idle too.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
She’s a great looking boat. Looks just like mine. I was going to ask where you got your decals? They look great but then I saw where you removed them. I know a lot of folks remove them permanently, but we love the true retro look. Plus I can’t get rid of my shadows. We’ve even wet-sanded them but the fading was so bad on the port side from years of neglect. I think putting replacements over will look better. So are you still running 15-40 in your V-drive? Mine has that “rock tumbling” sound at idle too.

The decals were original to the boat. I'm like yourself, and strive to keep originality, but it was time for them to go. The starboard side decal had several holes and rips in them from dock rash by the previous owner, and the color was starting to come off all around. Plus it was next to impossible to polish any oxidation around them without damaging them more. I keep going back and forth about replacing them, but I'll leave it clean for now. Keep working yours with some 3M Restorer wax (or something the like) and a buffer. The shadows will come out eventually.

As far as the transmission goes, since your's was left neglected and unused for so many years, it would be a very wise idea to change the fluid. The Rotella 10W40 is an excellent option that I would recommend. It made mine run noticeably quieter. Now that I think about it, you should probably check and make sure the transmission cooler didn't internally fail from the freeze damage. Check the fluid for water intrusion.

Authorized Dealer for
Old 07-10-2018, 12:54 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
The decals were original to the boat. I'm like yourself, and strive to keep originality, but it was time for them to go. The starboard side decal had several holes and rips in them from dock rash by the previous owner, and the color was starting to come off all around. Plus it was next to impossible to polish any oxidation around them without damaging them more. I keep going back and forth about replacing them, but I'll leave it clean for now. Keep working yours with some 3M Restorer wax (or something the like) and a buffer. The shadows will come out eventually.

As far as the transmission goes, since your's was left neglected and unused for so many years, it would be a very wise idea to change the fluid. The Rotella 10W40 is an excellent option that I would recommend. It made mine run noticeably quieter. Now that I think about it, you should probably check and make sure the transmission cooler didn't internally fail from the freeze damage. Check the fluid for water intrusion.

So far I haven’t seen any water intrusion into the ATF. So conventional 10W-40? Do you pump the fluid out of the fill port?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
So far I haven’t seen any water intrusion into the ATF. So conventional 10W-40? Do you pump the fluid out of the fill port?

That good! The only port I ever found on the transmission is where the dipstick is. Pumped the old ATF out through there, and pumped the 10W40 in. I think the capacity is 4.2 qts.

Authorized Dealer for
Old 07-10-2018, 12:59 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
That good! The only port I ever found on the transmission is where the dipstick is. Pumped the old ATF out through there, and pumped the 10W40 in. I think the capacity is 4.2 qts.

That’ll work... thanks

Old 07-10-2018, 10:00 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Also... yes I did replace the regulator membrane. Didn’t get a new spring with the kit

Which kit did you get? Does the replacement have a toggling center? Toggle side to side?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Which kit did you get? Does the replacement have a toggling center? Toggle side to side?

Not sure about that?? The kit I got was just a standard gasket, o-ring, and filter kit. I didn’t notice any toggling. I was able to rev it to 4K before it started popping. I pulled the flame arrestor at that speed and looked at the injectors. The starboard injector had a clean “umbrella” the port injector had a much heavier “umbrella” with a bit of trickling at the center.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:46 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post

Oh wait a minute... did you mean the regulator center metal? Yes the side opposite where the spring attaches did have a toggling piece. Sure makes compressing the spring a pain in the rump.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
Just to be clear you set the timing with the data connector shorted out and the rpms raised to 1,000 right?

Any error codes popping up?